Saguary Carp

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by HugeEuge57, Mar 30, 2009.

1. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Tried for carp at Sag Saturday morning...form 6:30 until 11am.....nada....fished in the corner of butcher jones right by the parking lot.

Last year they were busting everywhere around this time of year...and I only saw 2 carp surfact in that span.

2. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Eugene were you trying to catch the carp for bait for flathead fishing or just for fun?

3. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    For fun.....I used to live in NY, and we used to catch them fishing for catfish in the Hudson River....and man were they fun....so I figured I'd see if I could catch a few out here, since a lot of the lakes are full of them.

4. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Whats your weather been like compared to last year?
    Water temp can play a big role as to when carp take to the shallows.

5. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yeah, there were 2 things that made me think the water was just colder...the first was the wind kicked up the past week, which means the temps are all messed up...and the 2nd was the fact that there were guys training for an ironman competition in the lake and I noticed them last year as well, and they were saying how much colder the water was this year then last.

I think if it stays calm, the temps will jump back up....bass already started to spawn, so the temps were normal before the wind.

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Chum corn and then cast a light rig sliding sinker with two small hooks with 3 kernals or so on each hook. Once you get them in the area it's easy to keep catching them remember to keep chuming they are so fast finding the corn and cleaning the area. Bartlett is good for carp aso.

7. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks Terry...I had a bigger hook on there with an overload of corn...and I knew I should downsize but for some reason didn't.....I chummed with corn...every 15 or so minutes I tossed out about 10 pieces....I also set up one hook with a chunk of dough on it and no weight.

I know that Bartlett and Canyon are awesome for them too...thanks.

8. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Eugene to the BOC,
    I am with Terry on the hook size. Patience and leaving the bait free floating is second. It will naturally find a spot to hold. If you have a chance to fish Roosevelt, Salt river side there are some good carp catching areas below the diversion dam, 500 yards from the diversion dam, especially waiting for the flatheads and water temps to warm! Good Luck!

9. aburk

aburk New Member

State:
    Tucson, AZ
    Where is this diversion dam you speak of and how do i get there

10. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Aaron, The diversion dam is off of 288 on the way to Young. At the point you cross the salt river the diversion dam is on the lake side of the bridge less than a 1/4 mile. You will see it once you are in the area. Google Roosevelt lake.... After familiarizing yourself with that area you will find some good bank fishing areas, Good Luck!

11. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks Cataholic