Saginaw River Flathead Catfish Talk

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by hear_kitty, Nov 29, 2005.

1. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    my thoughts on saginaw river I think that saginaw river is the next flattie river i have looked in to the river for a long time and . I think that since the cats are nown to be there!this is something that will grow and grow since there in the great lakes and this is proff know it is just a matere of time before they are everywhere life is grand and it will grow but now that that they are here no one will stop them and no one will look for them becuse they are trash fish in most peoples eyes and I hope you will forgive me for the spelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Don I couldn't find your post, but I did find one picture of a guy who caught a flathead in the Saginaw. His name was Waterwolf. Get the boat and the bluegills ready for next spring, because it's on!!! LOL.

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Any time you get ready you let me now and we are there! and that go's for you sal sparky or any of the catfish hunters out there! Vic Sal Sparky are welcome to stay the night at my house anytime !! I need you all to get into the great catfishing that is here we can break this flattie bull butt look forward to fishing the maple and the grand the st joe the ohio the and all the lakes for my life is fishing ice boat river bay or anything or any water in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Don,
    When did you start fishing for cats last year in the Bay? I know it's crazy, but I got my catfishing tackle box out last night and got it all organized. Can you believe it! It's not even January yet. I'm even looking for ads in the paper to find shrimp on sale. This year I'm going to freeze lots & lots. Last year I ran out, and paid up the nose for more.
    If I'm not mistaken you were out on the Bay early, with your long johns on.
    Keep me posted.
    Sparky

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Sparky,

WELCOME BACK!!!

Good to see you posting once again. I hope the squirrel season has done you well.

Hey... could you PM me with your address? I still have your snake light and I really REALLY need to get that back to you cause its making me feel horrible for not saving your return info. Thanks!

How is part-time doing out west? Fill us in on the details brother!

Hope to meet up with ya sometime this winter and ice-fish too.

-sal

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Guys.
    Sal asked how Part-Time was doing, so here is the scoop!
    He moved out to Cortez Co. the first of Aug. 05 and took a job as the Sports Editor for the Cortez Journal. (He is the youngest Sports Editor in the state of Co.) He loves his job and is doing real well out West. He has done a little fishing out there, but mostly trout and walleye. The catfish are slim. You can read some of his article by typing in cortez Journal. com . Go to the sports section and you'll find it. If you get a chance, drop him a line, he would love to hear from you.
    He'll be home for the Holidays, 23rd through the 29th. It will be great to see him. It's been a long time.
    Sparky

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay sparky not to long after ice out! and will keep you up to date! as far as the crazy part that's catfishermen! :love-big: Haven't you ever seen that crazed look in peoples faces when there catfishing? :happy: Glad to here that partime is making his way in life at something he loves!!

8. mich dave

mich dave New Member

State:
    Otisville
    last year we hit bay in mid-april. fished for 3hr. had to go home no more room in the live well. It was like heaven. Couldn't keep 4 lines in the water with out 1 pole being bent over. when thing's slowed we'd pull and move 1/4mi. and do it again. THIS year i got a GPS. won't run aground comin in. giving up the spring turkey hunt and spend the time after the big cat's. we plan to start right after ice out.

my boy was looking up his fish on the master angler list[it dropped to #5 ] he looked under flathead and they came from allover the place. eather people are moving them or the DNR is planting. I was happy.

Deer hunten sucked this year{I'm buck less} catten all i got to look foward to.

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Dave,
    It's good to hear from you. I must admit, I'm not going to give up my Spring Turkey season, ( of course it's usually only two days) but I'll be ready earlier this year than last. Maybe we can hook up together this year. I'm sure Don will be around. Maybe we can get Sal,Vic and Jim Ross (or is it Steve)LOL. to all join in another camp out.
    I didn't go buckless! I got a seven point the opening morning, but I must admit there were not many shot around my area.
    Sparky

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Dave,
    Have you heard of any Flatties coming out of the Saginaw Bay?
    Sparky

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    sparky,

Don has proof of em on the saginaw bay. He showed me this year.

I am shocked, but stand corrected.

We're going!!! We will root them out, find them wherever they are, and bring them to justice.... (or the surface for pictures) LOL

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    It seems to me, I read something about one being caught in the Saginaw river. Does anyone know where on the Saginaw River? Or what town it was near!
    Sparky

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sparky, according to Don the fish can be caught a little further upriver out of Bay City. Conventional thinking says that if they are caught in the river then the bay would have them too.

Dave, good to hear from you man, try not to be a stranger. Thanks for the report on those kitties. I am really looking forward to fishing with you guys this year early and often...

14. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Vic,
    What kind of line would you suggest I put on my new Abu 6500? If I'm not mistaken, Sal said something about a fireline. What do you think?
    Sparky

15. mich dave

mich dave New Member

State:
    Otisville
    I have'nt heard of any flat's from the saginaw. I did hear of a monater pike from the mouth of the river 48"30# That would be a wild ride on 6#test. the guy was fishing on the edge of the ice for walleye.
    Looking forward to camping with you guy's. It would be fun to talk about fish that fight and taste good rather than about fish that taste bad or don't fight that the guy's at work go after. They think I'm a bit odd for going after THEM FISH I allways have a come back about there's.
    FISHING LINE. We like spider wire stealth it cast real well knots hold with out glue and last a couple years. We have been useing 20# but we're droping down a bit cause all our biggest fish came on a long cast on the bay. No snag's out there and we got the time.
    gotta git going and git somethin done

LATER

16. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    as far as line goes. on my light cat rods i use 14# fireline. i use these rods fishing during the daylight fishin' for channels in the grand. on my heavy rods, which hold garcia 6500's, i use 30# fire line. but i fish in the rivers, with alot of snags. depends on how you fish. good luck however you decide.

guess i should say "hi guys" i'm back again. hope you all are surviving the winter. with this warm weather, i ready to go chase some kitties.

17. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Thanks Dave & Jon for you input. It is greatly appreciated.
    By the way Dave we will get together camping this year. Jon Your are well also. We have had some great times last year.
    I wouldn't mind getting on the Maple again this Spring down by Sals house. Good place to camp & fish. How about some input on that one guys!
    Sparky

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Michigan Dave! Good to see ya made it to the new site! You too, Jspiel!

I'd really like having you fellas out to the maple for another try for flatties, perhaps some camping, likely a warm fire, definately some buttershots, and surely some good eats.

Just let me know when!

Sparky,
    I use spiderwire fusion on three reels and Cajun red on my fourth.

19. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    isn't cajun red designed for spinning reels though?

i think it mentions it on the box.

i like berekley big game. then from the swivel to the hook i use fireline or some other braid.

-jim(steve)

20. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    probably, Jim (you dont have to call yourself Steve... that only helps me, but the problem of me forgetting that you ARE NOT named Steve will likely continue if you allow me to go on believing it- LOL)

I have some spooled on my Pinnacle Guide Series Spinner..... but I love it on the Shimano Corsair 400 baitcaster cause it just looks like it fits. Brass and red is purty. lol

I do have to respool this winter. I will likely stay with the cajun line on the corsair- I havent had it break off from anything but snags, and even then I had to put all I had into it to bust it up... so I cant say anything bad about it.

sal