Saginaw Bay

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by hear_kitty, May 24, 2007.

1. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay guys time to slay the walleyes there taking limits if you can beat the wind you got it made! dragging meat!

2. davedmg

davedmg New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Don:

I'm a catfish newbie, so I have to ask you some dumb questions.

By "dragging meat" do you mean drifting with cut bait? Do you use bobbers? What is your favorite water depth? What is the distance between your bait and your bobber?

Thanks in advance!

-- Old Dave, Still Trying After All These Years:confused2:

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Dave,
    There are no dumb questions. Dragging meat refers to a nightcrawler harness, when fishing for walleyes.
    Sparky

4. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Actually Sparky, you can target the cats (on Sag. Bay) at least by slow trolling or drifting harnesses or plain Lindy rigs. Dragging meat doesn't always mean you are targeting walleye.

We've had good success out towards the spark plug and over to the Tawas Light, drifting Lindy rigs. I like to use a worm blower to put a little air in the "pink nightie" so it'll drift off the bottom a bit. A plain rig works very good out there. If you are targeting walleye, you can speed this up and you won't catch as many cats. We troll a dodger/harness combo called an Eyeliminator at up to 3.5mph. Seems screaming fast for 'eyes but it works beautifully.

What I do when fishing a Lindy rig is to drift over a likely looking area with the bail open and my finger holding the line. Keep adjusting for the depth my touching the bottom every few seconds. The stirring up of mud on the bottom can be an attractor for fish. When you get a hit, let go of the line and count to at least 10. Don't worry, the fish won't let go. Set the bail and slowly take up line until you feel the fish. Set the hook and grab the net. Lindy rigging is a subtle approach that'll catch anything that is hungry so you'll typically have to weed through other fish to find your target species. Makes for a fun trip though.