Saginaw Bay Michigan

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dreamcatcher, Apr 24, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Good mornng everyone. I just wanted to give you guys an update on the catfish outing I had with Don Lambert. We fished the Quanacassie River, and the Saginaw Bay yesterday and had a great time in spite of the bad weather. The day didn't go quite as well as Don's previous outing where he was fighting to keep control of two rods, but we had a great time nevertheless. It was windy, and we started getting rain midday which didn't let up until later in the evening. We caught a few cats in the nine pound range, with Don catching the largest at around 10 pounds. Most of the fish caught were large females that were getting ready to spawn. Other fish caught fishing for cats were carp, white bass, perch and dogfish. I am a firm believer that this place is the truth for catfish, and Don and I agreed that the month of May is probably the prime time to get them. If yesterday was a slow day, then there are definitely some great outings in the future.

I really enjoyed watching Don hauling in them cats with his ultra light setups. Eight pound test line and steel leaders, and those big females were ripping them leaders up, but Don was still hauling them in. One of these days you might convince me to go ultra light Don. LOL. We lost five or six big ones that were on the stringer, but we'll keep that one in house. LOL. All the fish were caught in the bay. The river wasn't producing anything but conversation. Caught my largest channels ever yesterday, and look forward to the fishing year ahead. It certainly has started off better than previous years. Don't miss out if you get the chance!

Vic

2. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Here is one pic. Would of taken more, but my camera died on me. The picture of Don is something he was doing all day: slaying them kitties on his ultra-lights. Hey Don, I couldn't post the pics of me because they are bmp files. Nice pics though. Maybe I'll make the channel one my desktop image. LOL.

Attached Files:

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Great Story Vic, and nice pic. of our buddy Don! ( knock hell out of them with that ultra light Don).
    Vic, I told you last year, that the Quanicassee River produced some nice fish. If I remember correctly, Don and I were fishing late in June.
    I think we should lock in the dates of 19th, 20th, and 21st of May for a Spring outting. What do you say guys! Who's in besides me?
    Sparky

4. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    I"m already there and plane on catching the biggest channel cat of the year IN MICHIGAN!!On the lightest 8 or 6lb test line and lightest rod!

5. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Now, there is a goal Don! Put some of these guys to shame with their Penn bait caster, 60lb. test line and their tiger rods.LOL. I'm just wondering, when you fish lite tackle like that, do you wear one of those belt type rod holders like Vic has, or do you just tuff it out with arm strength? LMAO
    Sparky

6. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I couldn't help it I had to post a pic of my largest channel cat ever...as for the belt I leave it at home when I fish in our home state. LOL. You will also be glad to know that I was fishing with 25 pound test line this weekend. LOL. To be fair though, I did switch to a 50 pound leader though...:cool: Hey you never know...there is at least one fish in that bay that rates as the fish of a lifetime. Gotta stay ready...:)

7. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Oh, I forgot to add the pic...;)

Attached Files:

8. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    OK, here goes....

I have cleared the evening of the 5th and evening of the 6th of may. That is the only time I can get to go for the whole month. Don, if you can go out and play that weekend (grin) my hope is to hit the Quannacassee area with you. I cannot bring my boat as money will not allow, but I will cover a share of your fuel costs, hook us up with the bratwurst, and even bring a few homebrew beers to wash it all down with.

This is the only days I can do!!! Sorry if it isnt the same as the plans you're making as a group.

Sal

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Vic,
    Thats a nice cat! What did you say it weighed?
    By the way are we going to Houghton Lake on the first week-end in May, or are we going to do that later. I have to make plans.
    Sparky

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Sparky,

Im still gonna bank on early june for that area. Last 3 years the suckers ran the last week of may on Cadillac, Mitchell, Missaukee, and the clam river. Bout the time them buggers get done is when channels pick up- just as they are in quannacassee right now.

Im gonna go there in june. I will get as much info as I can to help you if youre going next month, but I will opt to stay locally over near quanacassee if I can help it. If it falls through with Don, Ill go hang out at the inlaws house in Cadillac, and perhaps meet up with ya for a night.

My plan is sometime in May to drag the big boat up there and leave it at the inlaws house till Im done with it around the 17h or 18th of june, to disperse my travel costs when I get there in june, this way I only have to save up to bring it home.

12. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I would certainly like to go for that weekend. As it's looking right now it won't be a gathering because nobody's talking, but you know I'm not opposed to fishing there. LOL. If we choose to go that far north (I'm viewing far from my perspective) we need to have a boat(or boats)to really get after them good. I am willing to help cover some of the cost of operations for the boat that I park my carcass in to lessen the impact on the captain. Somebody give me a cost estimate...on how much it will cost to tow your boat to Houghton, fish, and get back. That's anyone in earshot... I don't mind who I fish with, as long as you can bait your own hook:p. I don't have a calendar in front of me...what are the dates again the 6th and 7th?

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sparky, the cat was nine pounds and some change...

14. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I guess maybe we should wait til June, for the Houghton trip. By then we should have some more info, and the weather will be better. Plus we do have to factor in the boat situation and lodging. If anyone has any wild ideas, pipe up and lets hear it.
    Sparky

15. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Just so we are all on the same page are we talking about two trips to quanacassie one on 5th and 6th may and then 18th 19th 20th! Then take the trip to houghton lake in june?

16. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    To be honest with you Don, I'm not sure what page we're on! LOL. I think I'll just keep my mouth shut, ( if you can believe that) and when I read a post about a fishing trip that meets my time frame, I'll show up! LMAO
    Sparky

17. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    OK...

This is my plan, that unless I get the promotion here is what I will do:

I cannot take my boat but one place in the next 2 months-and that will be up to the inlaws in Cadillac. I need it up there for the june trip up there. I will not be able to go with my boat to Quannicassee. It is just too much to afford too close together. I will however drop some dough for fuel costs to Don's boat if he takes me or us out on the 5th in saginaw bay, cause that's only right that a fella do so.

I will absolutely not be able to go any other weekend but the 5th/6th of may to quannacassee. If I dont do it then, I wont be able to afford to go till july, and I sure dont want to miss the big rush of monster channels that happened last year and is happening as we speak. Rememeber- by mid june last year the cats slowed on quannacassee by the time we all got there. I dont want to miss that this time around.

IF the general consensus is that Quannicassee is off- that Don is headed tht weekend to Houghton lake with the rest of ya, I WILL take my boat and visit one evening and night at Houghton lake, cause the boat will be there anyhow, but I wont be able to stay for 2 nights- only one at best.

That is where I am at. I do not reccommend going up there to Houghton for cats that early, as it will likely be too cold for the better action that june provides up there- gills are barely on the beds on Mitchel by memorial weekend. The only thing biting there are crappie and walleye and pike, and the suckers still are in the shallows and rivers at that time, likely where the cats are too. That is why Im putting the trip to that part of the state off... till june.

Now who else will be doing what? :) :)

18. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Great story. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.