Safty in pouring sinkers

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by Welder, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    After reading about misshaps ect I figured I ought to bring up some general safty about pouring lead. First wear good safty glasses your eyesight is worth a million bucks dont dammage it. Good all leather gloves or welding gloves keep hands from getting burned. Wear a good hat all cloth not the ones with the mesh. Denim jeans and a good long sleeve denim shirt. Wear cotten it wont flair or melt to your skin like rayon or burn like wool. Take your time and set up your pouring and spot. I like my burner and melting pot off to my right for dipping lead a lil wood spool in front of me for resting the mold and pouring. Off to my left a steel 5 gal chill bucket 1/2 full of water. Dip, pour let set turn open mold drop hot sinkers in bucket repeat. Your body blocks the lead pot from the chill bucket. I cannot stress the safty glasses enough they have saved my eyesight many times welding and cutting and one time I messed up pouring lead. I chilled my ladel and dident let it dry being in a hurry POP boom I was coverd in lead my clothing and safty glasses saved me from burns. Safty first guys.

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Sounds like good advise to me. Thanks for the post.​

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Great thread buddy reps to ya....

you are a professional when working with metal. there was some debate in another thread about water and molten lead/metal. I myself know the answer, but to solve the debate could you please explain what effects of lead and water coming into contact are, and if it is lead into water or water into your melting pot that will make it explode.

thanks buddy, and great thread. some of the mishaps you are speaking of, were ones that i made myself. however due to the preparation and safety measures that i have taken, i wasn't burned. i did however find a little cooled lead in my carthart coat. its amazing that even with experience in welding and different things, how fast and easy you can mess up and really get hurt.

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Aint no place for tennis shoes either.

5. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Jeremy, what happens when water gets into molten lead is that it flashes into steam causing an explosive reaction throwing molten lead from the pot. When you drop hot lead into water you get a little steam and then the heat is dissipated into the water.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thank you earl, i was hoping that you and/or some of the others would post that, so that the member that i was debating that with would read it, proving me correct and keeping him from popping some lead up onto him.

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I knew it would pop no matter what jeremy...but if ther water is on top of the lead it wont be as bad of a splatter as if the water was under the lead...more safty...I wear my carhartt bibs and a thick hoodie and a t-shirt and a stocking cap and welding clove on one hand and a carhartt insulated leather glove on the other hand it helps when using pliers...I dont put them in water because i like to take my sprue off ass soon as it comes out of the mold...Help keep the mold cooler...and no sanndals shoes..I wear my carhartt work boots or cabelas 2,000g insulated boots and thick socks..

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    When water flashes to steam the steam takes up(if I remember right) 18,000 times the volume of the water,or an explosion if you prefer when something expands that fast,that will throw 700 degree lead everywhere. Now not to knock on others set-ups, BUT you should NEVER have water close to your lead pouring set up,or any other liquid for that matter,it's just not nessasary,and alot safer without it. I pour lead into the mold and dump the molds onto a long wooden workbench to cool slowly,if they go in water they will oxidize and get that white rust look. After I've poured all I want to deal with that day,I go to the end of the bench where I started and start nipping sprues,they are always nice and cool to the touch,any sorting or organizing can be done as I cut sprues or after,and the melting pot is off saving me gas/electric/whatever. I know alot of guys have cooled with water for years,but since I went to air cooling I have had zero pops,versus the occasional accidental one before,and the sinkers look factory and shiny.

I went with a 100% cotton canvas apron that I picked up somewhere and old boots,a cap and safty glasses,one regual leather glove to handle the mold and one welding glove for the ladle if it gets hot, for safety gear also am going to install a big vent fan over my melting pot to eliminate the open garage door and fan I'm using now.

just remember liquid+ molten lead= very bad day + possible expensive medical treatment +pain

Worked in a metal foundry for a few years and trust me you could get beaten severly for bring water around molten metals.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  9. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I always wear a respirator when melting lead and do it outside. It ain't good to breath that smoke.

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    When melting lead one can't have to much safety gear or be to careful.

11. linedrager

linedrager New Member

State:
    ky
    I also wear a spray mask with charcoal filters, don't know if this help but I figure it can't hurt, its got to be better than breathing the smoke, if anybody is intrested you can pick them up at your local auto paint supplier or a house paint store, but they are usually cheeper at the auto paint store.

12. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Just wanted to mention that it doesn't have to be water drops that can cause you a serious accident.
    Something with rust on it holds moisture and if dipped in the molten lead it will pop up in your face just the same.
    I used to work in an aluminum factory and had 40,000 lbs of molten aluminum (1800 degrees) in the furnace. It was predicted that it only took 1 drop of water under the aluminum to blow it all 100 feet into the air. Very violent like a volcano.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    When we were young we use an old brick with holes drilled in it to make sinkers. We used some stove pipe or bailing wire for attachment. Them bricks set outside and absorbed moisture, that made for some interesting pours, lucky we were pouring small sinkers and didn't get hurt. We melted some lead in an old kitchen dipper, and just poured into the brick. We were lucky.

14. eyeballjr

eyeballjr New Member

State:
    Bartlesville,OK
    I'm a power plant operator, and if i'm not mistaken, it been a while since boiler school, but steam expands anywhere from 1600 to 1800 times its size when in a liquid form. That means a tablespoon of water will take up the space of a little more than 6 1/2 gallons of water, and it does it in a split second.