safety when fish alone on a boat

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Slatebar, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I see some of us fish alot alone. Just wondering if any of you take any kind of extra precautions at night when alone. Some things I do is keep a light on at all times after dark, keep a couple Q-Beam spot lights hooked up and place around the boat, keep a couple knives handy. Keep the floor and deck as uncluttered as possable, After dark I also put the PFD on and keep it on if I am alone and any time I move from one spot to another,also hook up to the kill switch any time I move. After dark I will also trail out a life jacket on a 50 ft rope. Keep a close eye on tow boats, this is especially true if anchored in a bend or out near the main channel. Other than towboats swinging out in turns I have never really had a problem,knock on wood...
    What are some of the things you do to assure your safety?

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dont currently have a boat but if i did.. probably my 4" winchester & 5" buck LOL.:wink:

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A good GPS system would be a great tool in the dark or when the fog sets in thick.

5. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    You just about covered it for me John. Except for a maybe an idea or 2 from the other posters. :)

Although, I have never put a life jacket on a rope before. I will have to rely on the anchor rope.:crazy:

If I were ever to fall out, alone, as long as I didn't have a pole in my hand, I should do all right. If i'm hold my gear, I would probably risk drowing, just so I didn't lose my reel. :big_smile:

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Unfortunately, a GPS can't locate floating debris. :big_smile: RADAR would be excellent!

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    let people know where you are going...and take lots of beer:wink:

8. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I never "parake of the grape" as we use to call it while fishing. the boat is definantly a totally alcohol free zone. :big_smile:

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    i really don't do anything different, whether 4 people in the boat or just me. If anything, I'm more careful far as moving around in the boat or getting up on the front deck, so I don't loose my balance and go overboard. No fun trying to get back in the boat by yourself. Been there, done that, LOL! I don't carry any weapons or anything, except for a flare gun if needed. Luckily I never really ran into any kind of trouble like that.

Usually somebody knows what water I am fishing and I'll have my cell and VHF accessable if needed. I think one big plus for anybody out on the water is having a plan ahead of time is something does happen, so you don't panic and can execute it.

Far as GPS, up til several years ago, I never had it, but it sure is nice when navigating the rivers at night.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont really do anything different. The only thing would be make sure I tell someone when I should be back, and keep my phone on. Not that I am ever back on time anyways

11. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I keep my phone in a ziploc baggie. I had 1 incident when I fell in and had my phone in my pocket. Took it 3 days to dry out and work. Still can't dial a 0 or 8.

12. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    i think the main thing is if your in a boat #1 dont get in a hurry i just run a normal speed.make sure you have xtra plugs for the boat (spark plugs) due to you can foul a plug in a stroke easy and night puttin around and have a xtra battery on the ready.

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Really just take her easy. Probably should wear a life jacket too

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike I do nothing to ensure my saftey other than not doing stupid stuff. That has gotten me thru 12 years of boating now. But man, have I encountered all the things you just said. The first year I owned my boat I was fishing with a guy that had no boating experience, I was beaching the boat on an island in the river, and told him to wait till it ran aground before he jumped off with the anchor. That was just hot air I guess cause he jumped off 3 feet from the bank in 4 ft of water and the anchor held tightly to his chest drug him to the bottom, lol. We spent the remainder of that trip drying his clothes over a make-shift campfire.

I have lost my cell-phone in 25 feet of water thus making all calls to rescue personel really hard lol.

I have been out on the river at night once where I was shot at for getting too close to someones land. I know they were just trying to scare me and make me move the boat, but it still worked.