SAFETY TIPS

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by catoon, Mar 29, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    what all kind of safety tips would you experienced boaters give new boaters?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Always wear your life jacket. Keep an extra boat plug and key with you. Stay aware of the waters your fishing. Make sure your boat is capable of handling the water your on. Just to name a few.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Don't drink from the live well.....:tounge_out:

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Know your boat's limitations. If it gets rough, SLOW DOWN!!! I've been in waters i probably should not have been, but by going slow, and keeping the bow up, my little 14' jon boat got me back home. The other thing is keeping an eye to the sky. Storms come up quick, and the last place you wanna be is on an open body of water (especially true if you have an aluminum boat).

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    If you are fishing strong current (like we do below the dams on the Ohio) always keep a sharp knife handy to cut the anchor rope! If a log washes up against the front of the boat, it can pull you under pretty quickly, especially in a smaller boat. So keep that knife handy and be ready to cut the line, if it has that much load on it you wont be able to untie it.

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Check plug at least three times.....:wink:

use kill switch

use mooring lights at night

on familiar waters, don't get cocky, especially at nigh...

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Be especially careful at night!

In the picture below shows what happen when two bass boats hit almost head on at full speed at night. The boat on bottom in the picture went airborne passing over the other boat shearing the engine completely off. Two killed, one was an off duty game warden. Happen about mile from our house.

8. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    It's been said before, but is worth repeating, wearing life jackets, know your boats limitations and know your limitations. Paying attention to the weather is IMO the most critical. I've done rescues in storm conditions, if the boaters had paid attention, it would not have put others in dangerous situations. Have fun on the water, but respect mother nature, she's stronger than anyone.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Watch out for the flying carp.

10. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    1. Don't go anywhere at night you haven't been before in the daylight.

2. Don't do STUPID

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Carry extra shear pins for the prop.