Safety Straps

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Fishmaster1203, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Ya'll don't forget to wear em'. A buddy of mine fell about 30 feet last weekend and is in the hospital with all kinds of broken bones.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to think i was invincible. Anymore i don't care if it's gettin daylite and i'm 1/2 to the truck, if i don't have my belt i'll be late gettin up the tree. It isn't worth it to me, i enjoy huntin to much to risk a fall i could have prevented.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Only a FOOL would hunt from a treestand without a safety harness.

The old "safety straps" will kill you. In the hanging position you have only a few minutes before you will fall unconscious.

You need a body harness.

Be careful out there folks!

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Amen Brother.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    dont be a heman or a so called tuff guy its not going to impress any one that you go with out one get off your A$$ and put it on if not for your self for the ones that loves you

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I need to buy one I have work on roofs for the last 14 years so I guess I don't think I need one I had one years ago. But thanks for the reminde rI need to go but one when I get a few bucks. I saw one the other day but they wanted like 99 bucks for it. Ain't happening on my budget right now.

7. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Sorry, just a figure of speech. You're right. You should always use a body harness.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....I saw one the other day but they wanted like 99 bucks for it. Ain't happening on my budget right now....."

Dude...$99 bucks is cheaper than nursing care the rest of your life because you are in a wheelchair. :eek:oooh:

If you are that strapped for cash and hunting without one, send me a PM and I will give you one of the extra ones I have laying around. :wink:

No problem Paul Parsons. You, I, and some of the older guys remember the straps they used to sell as safety harnesses. Nothing but a loop of web material you tied off and ran under your arms. Better than nothing, but by far NOT the best way to go.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    These days, I would be better off using a safety harness myself, even though I hunt on the ground. As wobbly as I get at times, I aint about to climb up in a tree.

And no, to the best of my memory, Old Crow aint got nothing to do with it.:wink:

10. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    When the pop up ground blinds came on the market a few years ago I went from tree stands to the ground blinds, the fall out of a lawn chair is a lot easier to get over. I've also seen and killed more deer out of them than I did open tree stands, I can stay longer because I'm comfortable ( a good chair, a small ice chest and a couple of books and I'm set for the day) and can move are a some without get'n busted. They're also great to use when take'n kids hunt'n.

11. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    fishwestpoint is on a roll he is a funny guy but he has a seriuos side which can help every one on the boc

12. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Yea good advice. I don't hunt much out of tree stands anymore. I like Stillhunting or sitting in a ground blind. I agree wear em or don't complain if you end up in the hospital or worse.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Thanks for the reminder! My partner got me a stand that comes with a cheap harness. I'm gonna use my safety harness from work. If I couldn't afford a harness, I would at least make a swiss seat outa rope. I can't explain it too well, but I could show ya. I've gone 120 feet outa helicopters with em and down clirfs. Just tie the knots right and it'll be better than nothin. There ain't a turty point buck out there worth gettin crippled. All be careful and safe.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They're $25.00. how much is your life worth? Or hospital bills for a 3 day stay? Try dicks sporting goods. Or even wal-mart.