Safety laynard 1994?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by vfourmax, May 5, 2008.

1. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I had a question out of curosity, I have a 1994 Suntracker pontoon I have been fixing up for catfishing, last weekend went to start the motor and it would not start, ran some test and found it was associated with the kill switch circuit, got to looking for the safety cutoff, the one that you hook to your life vest and there is not one. No evidence of any tampering with any wiring by previous owner. Would not that have been required by the year 1994 or are pontoon boats exempt from this since the way they are made?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They have never been required by law , at least I don't think so. The bass tourney people won't let you finsh in a tournney with out one so that is whay most bass boats have them. I also have a toon and it didn't have one but it does now.:wink:

3. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Thanks, Bubba, Guess I always just thought it was a safety requirement by law. Mine will have it as well as test indicate either a bad switch or wire in the kill circuit, Do not want to keep fooling with it one piece at a time and do not want to have an engine won't start problem on the water so I have a new complete harness coming that includes ignition switch, safety cut off and alarm horn. The harness on the engine has already been replaced so should be good to go after this.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    :0a34:don't come to alabama with out it working and the law says if you are under power you must have it attatched to you no if's and buts igot a ticket in october for that and it cost me 228.50 so i learned that law

hope this helps :0a26: