Safety Harness

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Oct 26, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Every year we hear of hunters falling out of trees. I was reading the paper this morning and a hunter from here in Bama fell out yesterday and broke both legs. From the story he just climbed into the tree and did not have his safety harness on yet but saw a deer coming toward him and some how fell out while trying to shoot it. I know I have done the same thing and that is climb the tree and then but on my safety harness. But for some reason this one bothered me so please put on your safety harness on the ground then climb the tree.

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Great Idea, I'am sure alot of us do the same thing. Probably in the 80% range.

3. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    A few years ago I had a 1x10 oak board about 18" long with a vee cut in each end, when i went to a new spot I would carry it, climb the tree and wedge it in between a fork in the tree and presto instant tree stand..One very cold day I had it and had on 2 pairs of insulated coveralls I climbed a tree and stood up in my "stand" I took my foot and stomped it to make sure it was wedged in really tight..well the dang thang flew out from under me and I fell straight down into the V..there I was hung in the V by my arm pits.. I couldnt go up and couldnt go down..I figured the rescue squad would have to cut me out..finally I got enough swinging motion going that I could hook one foot on a branch and managed to get free..I left my little board in the woods..:smile2:

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    There have been times where I could have really used a safety harness in my ground blind, but thats another story.

Todd, I feel I must disagree with ya, I don't think it's 80%. I think it's more like 99%. At least of the hunters I know. I'm not even sure how many of them use a harness at all. Probably about half. If folks only understood that most deer hunting injuries and deaths are a direct result of climbing trees........Oh, well, theres too many fools out there now. Maybe this is natures way of ridding us of some of them.

5. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas

Brother, you said it. A broken leg or two and they might start using their brain. A big buck isn't worth your life. Some people haven't figured that out yet. I always use a harness. And on climbers, tie your platform to your seat with a short piece of rope. I have had mine fall more than once.:embarassed:

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    this story hits close to home. one of my best friends either fell asleep, had a heart attack, or just simply fell out of his tree and died. when my other buddy (who was with him) finally figured out he was'nt coming out of the woods. went to look for him. he was almost dead and starry eyed. he left and came back with help. (i would have carried him with me) Ron was dead. he was shotgun hunting. his gun barrel was bent, and he had a large contusion on his head where he hit the barrel. another time. i went out in the a.m. there was a familiar truck in the parking lot. i stopped and talked to the guy with whom i've talked with many times. i came out about 9 or 10 in the morning, noticed his truck was still there. when i came back in the afternoon his truck was still there. i figured he'd hunted all day. or, came back in just before me. when i came back out after dark there was a search and rescue in the parking lot loading up his body. he fell in the morning and a broad head cut him in his armpit. he bled to death on a path not 20 yards from where i walked out that morning. and yet one more time. i was hunting in a public place and after i got there i watched a hunter walk in and get into a stand that was'nt 60-70 yards away from me. it started to get dark and i had a few deer around me. so i didnt want to come down and spook them. i heard a loud thump. it sounded like he threw a backpack or a duffle bag down before he came down. i do it all the time. no biggie. i walked out a few minutes later. his truck was in the parking lot when i left. i even started to go back in and check on him. but, i didnt... the guy died of exposure that night with a broken back..i was wearing a belt one time and i slipped and fell. i was gonna calmly grab my platform on the way down and simply climb back up. my belt cinched up and raised my arms above my head and clinched up tight i was facing away from my tree and could'nt get turned around or climb back into my stand. i was almost completely exhausted by the time i finally flipped around to a spot where i could get ahold of my stand and get back up. accidents happen all the time. you dont have to be careless to get caught in a really bad situation. we need to be careful and even concious of each other when were in the woods. if i had of listened to my instincts. the guy with the broken back would still be alive today. that all hit me when i was being strangled by my own belt, and i didnt think i was gonna make it out. happens people. stay alive!

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not enough big trees here for me to use a treestand ,but If I did ,you can bet I'd have a safety harness and use it ,In my older age my fight for life instinct has kicked in BIG TIME.

8. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Hunters falling from tree stands is the leading cause of parapalegics in the Untied States. The opening weeked of rifle season last weeknd here in Ga saw three hunters with serious injuries in our local ER alone. One had a broken neck, one had a broken back and the other had broken legs.

WEAR THE SAFETY HARNESS!!!!!!!!!

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good thread, bill!

10. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I will tell a short story on myself about tree stands. I laugh about it now but it could of been bad. I was hunting with a buddy of mine and while climbing back down after hunting my bottom platform went clear to the bottom of the tree and I was left sitting in my seat at over 20 feet for over a hour wondering how in the Holy Hec was I getting down. Thank God I was hunting with somebody. He was worried about me and came to check on me. After a bunch of kidding he got me down. But two lessons I learned is tie your climbers togather and hunt with someone or at least tell some one where excactly you are hunting.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is a great thread to get some people's attention and possibly prevent some injuries or death this season. I've had some close calls also along with the one my hunting buddy had the other day.

He was hanging his stand and was using his harness to support him while he was hanging it. So far so good. After he got it hung and secure, he started to get up in it to get things organized and trim a couple limbs. He had to unhook his strap for a second to get up into the stand. He stepped onto a limb to get in the stand the the limb broke. It can happen that quick! So, there he was hanging 16 feet up by one arm, with the limb landing on his new 4 wheeler. He had grabbed onto the expanded metal on the platform of the stand, and it cut the hell out of his fingers, not to mention the scrapes and cuts from the tree on his shings and ribs. We've decided not to park the 4 wheelers that close to a tree anymore, lol. The ground was very soft with all the rain, but if he had fallen, he would have landed on his front rack!

Let's all try to pay attention and be careful. Accidents ARE going to happen, but we can minimize the injuries and occurances if we just concentrate a little bit and not get in a hurry.

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yep, I'm one of the fools! For 32 years I've been hunting from a stand, usually 25-30 feet up, and until a couple weeks ago, never used a safety harness, even though I carry two OSHA approved safety belts behind the seat of my truck for work. I got a new API Grand Slam climber six years ago and it came with a nice camo bag attached to the seat with a safety belt inside of it. For six years it has just hung there on the stand and never been used, except for dragging deer out of the woods. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, (and break easier) or I'm getting smarter, but I started wearing the harness a couple weeks ago. I don't know what made me start using it. Maybe it's because I love my wife too much to have her looking in a body bag to identify me, maybe it's because I was 2 miles from the nearest road in the National Forest, and if something happened, it might be spring before they found my dead a$$. Maybe it's because I know that I've been very lucky for a long time and I know that every lucky streak comes to an end sooner or later. And although I trust my stand, it may be the mechanic in me that knows that if a man made it, it will break someday. That's what has kept me working all these years; fixing things that other people built! I think from now on, I'll wear my safety harness! I guess I owe my family that much.

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I use a harness (most) of the time. My only complaint is not having enough tether to comfortably turn and shoot to my right side. Shooting straight in front or to the left is no problem.