Safety Harness - Safety harness that i can look into for this deer season?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by gander, Jun 26, 2006.

1. gander

gander New Member

State:
    jerseyville IL
    Could any body give me a idea about safety harness that i can look into for this deer season i had one that came with my stand its beyond repair

2. gander

gander New Member

State:
    jerseyville IL
    on the info about the hunters safety harness an for the e-mail

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    A quality vest harness is the way to go.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would go with a good body harness and a yoyo of the type used in the construction industry mainly for the purpose you can use it for other applications around home. We should all utilize fall protection at work and at home.
    If you fall even in a full body harness its going to hurt bad. At an average body weight in a free fall on a non braking lanyard you are looking at over 3000 pounds of force exerted on the body when it catches. That brings into play what you got the thing tied off to. I think OSHA requires tying off to something capable of withstanding 5000 pounds.

A braking type lanyard will significantly reduce that to just over a 1000 pounds BUT you have to be at a height of 18 feet or more to keep you from smacking the ground. Its still going to hurt bad. Not something you want to experience

Using a yoyo for a lanyard will prevent a free fall.
    Its a lanyard controlled by a clutch assembly like a seatbelt. You have freedom to move and climb but if you fall it grabs instantly preventing you from actually falling at all.
    You would attach a D ring to the tree trunk and then clip the yoyo onto the D ring and then feed of the yoyo onto the harness.

Its money well spent considering a fall of 5 feet can put you out of work for months or even permanently. Its gambling with everything you own.

I've broken both elbows 5 years apart. Same identical break, in the same bone just different elbows. Both were from falls of 5 feet or less. Both took me 6 months to get back to work fulltime with extensive physical therapy.
    I'm still damaged goods. I'll live with the injuries for the rest of my life.
    I can forget bowhunting, but do qualify for a crossbow permit.

ALWAYS tie off over your head whatever system you use.

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I gotta agree with mark, a good harness will keep ya from getting hurt, not just provide some confidence. and keep in mind that being up there and falling with a loaded gun or bow can be dangerous not just to youl. How long till osha requires it, and inspects us in the woods?

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A word of warning about harnesses, even the full body harnesses.
    If you fall and are suspended by that harness you will slowly suffocate due to your own body weight. There really isnt anyway around it unless you can get to some point to take the tension off the tether.
    I know of several incidences locally where hunters were found dead hanging from a harness because of this reason.

Its also something being addressed in the construction field. When I say addressed, I mean taught, told, disclosed, etc.

Using a "yo yo" device with a harness will often prevent the fall as it acts like a seatbelt. You have free movement until the point you cross its threshold of how fast it will pay line. In other words you may come off your feet but you aren't going to fall more then inches before it catches where as with a lanyard you'll fall until the lanyard runs out. The downside is they aren't cheap but they are worth the price you pay. Every dime of it.

Another thing OFTEN overlooked is the weight capacity of a harness and lanyard. Even your industrial standard safety harnesses max out at 250 lbs.
    If you weigh more then that you need to be shopping for a big boy harness.

As I said in the above post , ALWAYS tie off above your head. Tying off below you is a good way to lose your head.

Falling is no joke even with a harness and knowledge about harnesses. Its gonna hurt and if you fall the length of a 6 foot lanyard you'll probally wind up in the emergency room.

Check your equipment and know how to properly wear it and what to do once its deployed.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks for the reminder Tim. Need ta get mine out an give it a good looking over. All the sporting goods outfits have replacements. Seems ta be how much ya want to spend.

:big_smile:

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Gary, if I were going to harness up I'd buy one used in construction.
    Wider belts, higher quality, and OSHA approved (proven). They'll last a long time if you care for them.