safe to eat???

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by river bum, Jul 21, 2008.

1. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    i fish the james river in downtown Lynchburg va. i catch a lot of fish, small mouth, blues, flats,carp,gar,crappie,bluegill,perch but is it safe to eat?awhile back the river was heavily polluted due to run off from sewage pipes and other things.they have said the river is cleaner and is safe, but must of the people i fish with wont eat out of this section of river.so most of my fishing is cpr . but i would love to keep a couple 4-5 pound blues to eat what should i do:0a28::confused2:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to say yes, however the official word can be found at your states department of natural resources

3. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    what do you think the best eating size is ?????????

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i would worry more about the mercury and pcb's than the sewage.:wink:

ill see what i can find for ya.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5553/is_200412/ai_n22287551

5. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    Any size is good but you need to cut off any red meat. The red meat has a really gamey flavor. Anything below 20 lbs. probably will not have red meat. Also check out your states fish and game web site to find out water are poluted.

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    if they will fit in a 12 inch skillet after being dressed for dinner, then that is perfect. The pollution thing should really be checked into first. PCBs, mercury, chromium, are all nothing to play with.

7. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    thank yall all this has been a big help:wink::smile2::big_smile_2:

8. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    For the best tasting Ive found that any cat under 5lbs is the best, but thats just one mans opinion. :smile2:

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'll take mine under 2 pounds.

10. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    My thoughts are....anything under 3 or 4 pounds should be fine. Even a few big fish can be eaten in moderation. The attachment is my Dad's favorite size for the pan.

Attached Files:

11. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    An advisory on fish taken from the Maury and James rivers was recently posted on the Virginia Department of Health website (2006). The link is below:

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/Epidemio.../documents/pdf/PCB News Advisory 10.10.06.pdf

Another advisory was posted in 2002:

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/epidemio...ology/documents/pdf/JamesRiverPCBAdvisory.PDF

The main concern appears to be the PCB content of James River catfish. The most recent advisory concerns 32 inch flatheads, which should not be eaten, but older advisories point at blue catfish as a source of PCBs. Logically, it would be advisable not to eat larger catfish that have lived long enough to accumulate toxins. Two eight ounce meals of small catfish per month is probably the maximum advisable rate of consumption. Hope this helps.

12. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like to eat cats that are 2 to 5 lbs.

13. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    The bigger the fish you keep, the more you risk tangling with PCB's and mercury. This is why the little ones are the better eaters. Less time in the water means less pollution in the fish. A 50 lb., 10 yr. old blue has soaked up a lot of stuff in his time, so I just keep little ones.

14. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have heard that with the mercury content and other pollutants, it's really only safe to eat catfish about once a month, within moderation. you might want to check with the VA Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries though.

15. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have always prefered the 2-4lb range for eating. Soaked in buttermilk,rolled in house autry seafood breader,and deep fried in peanut oil!!!!!!:smile2: now i am getting hungry! fish on bro!