Safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by pittsburghsteve, Jul 5, 2006.

1. pittsburghsteve

pittsburghsteve New Member

State:
    Valencia, PA
    15-20 years ago we were told to stop eating some river fish (Ohio River, southern Ohio) b/c they were unsafe. Catfish and all bottom feeders were among these. Since then I have only eaten lake and pond caught catfish. How can you tell if river fish in one area or another are safe to eat?

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    There are usually advisories somewhere that will help you out. I reccomend smaller fish, the bigger ones have more time to take in the toxins and Mercury. Smaller ones have not been exposed as long. Just a helpful hint there. Good luck on the water.

3. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
  4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    i have seen somewhere on the web that u can eat 8 oz each week... from the ohio river... and i have heard to let a fish be in a clean pond after catching from the river for 6 months and it will be totally clean... hope this helps... remember to soak them in salt water... this helps too

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would also recomend liiking here first.

6. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i wont eat anything out of the ohio or gmr river..

7. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have eaten fish out of the Ohio in the past but I don't plan on doing it again. All of the plants along the river treat their waste water till it's "safe" and then release it into the river. Problem is that their treatment facilities can only handle so much volume and when it rains too much untreated water oveflows into the river. I assume this is the same with sewage treatment plants for cities.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Catfish will never lose their mercuy buildup if they have any. That is what I have been told anyway. Maybe someone else can chime in here. Just offering my 2 cents.

9. HuntinforCats

HuntinforCats New Member

State:
    PA
  10. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Save the big river fishing for the monsters that you throw back and stick with your lakes and ponds for eaters.

11. pittsburghsteve

pittsburghsteve New Member

State:
    Valencia, PA
    Thanks for all the help everyone, greatly appreciate it!