SAFE TO EAT ?

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by twisted, Jun 10, 2009.

1. twisted

twisted New Member

yesterday we went out for some channel cats and got there a bit early (about dusk) and i caught a nice keeper walleye. i put him in the bucket and it died shortly after.it was another 5-6 hours before i got to clean it. is it safe to eat ? the meat looked good and didn't smell.

thanks.

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    you are probably ok, I always keep em on a stringer or on ice (best). Good luck salmonella isn't as bad as they say....:eek:oooh:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use the Gill color as my guide,If they are still bright red to a very dark pink ,probably ok,any lighter ,I chunk em. Best way is to put em on ice as soon as they are caught.:wink:

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have always gone by gill color also. The gills have to be at least pink,
    if they are light pink or whites its gone bad. In some cases it might be
    ok but it not worth taking a chance.

5. 350degree peanut oil

350degree peanut oil New Member

State:
    NC
    Hot grease is a good disinfectant....:eek:oooh: When I'm meat fishing, I keep a coolr full of ice in the boat and they go straight from the hook to the ice chest. I don't even like keeping them alive in a livewell in hot weather, they soften up. The meat is a lot firmer and better tasting if you put them on ice immediately.

6. twisted

twisted New Member

thanks guys, if i remember correctly the gills were red.

i hate to waste a fish.

7. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    As long as the water is fairly cool & the gills still have some color like the others said the meat should be fine to eat.

8. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i have cleaned and ate fish with gill colors ranging from a light pink to a full bright red and they were always fine only time i chunk em if i have to is when the gills are ghostly white then i either feed the coons or have new garden fertilizer but i agree that fish should be fine to eat unless gills were completely white and even then just cook it long enough and it should be fine

9. twisted

twisted New Member

what happens if i dont remember what color the gill plates were ?

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Another suggestion you can do, is bleed the fish out. Make a small incision around the throat area of the fish. The fish will bleed out and the meat will be very white when cleaning the fish. My Bear hunting in guide in Canada did this to our Walleye and Perch we caught. The fish were left on the stringer for several hours, before cleaned. We ate the fish that night. Yes, the water was cold and clean, but this could be a thought for you to do in the future on the fish you catch!!

I'm guessing this will work on catfish too, maybe cut the tail and let the fish bleed out that way.

11. twisted

twisted New Member

thanks for the advise !

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    AS LONG AS THERE GILLS ARE RED I WILL STILL EAT THEM.