Safe Harbor in Landcaster county

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by kaleigh, Feb 3, 2006.

1. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Has anyone fished the area around Safe Harbor??? In Lancaster County,I think?:0a36:

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    I fished off the dam a few times when I lived out in the Lancaster area. I didn't have much luck, but I had just started catfishing and didn't know what I was doing. :p I saw a bunch other fishermen and fisherwomen catching catfish, and some others going for smallmouth and walleye. If you do go, there are usually plenty of other people around if you have any questions. Hope this helps. :)

3. setup1

setup1 New Member

State:
    Pa
    I fish from the Safe Harbor Dam bridge all the time. I have been starting to pick up some nice flat heads as well as nice channel cats. I havent started yet this year but soon hope to start.

4. setup1

setup1 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Kaleigh: I dont have enough post to send you privat message. I fish from the stop log bridge at the dam, you can only fish from there starting at 6 a.m. till dark, there is no night fishing in that area. I fish straight down from the bridge in 40' of water or deeper. My largest Flathead so far has been 32" 11lbs. If you plan on fishing from the bridge you should have a bridge net to bring the fish up in. If you have more questions ide be glad to try and answer them for you .

5. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    What kind of rods do you use? I have lightweight,heavy river,and surf rods :) How about bait? Directions to where you are talking about. I would probably be coming down 83S or 30W whichever is better from Eastern Pa.:what-big:

6. setup1

setup1 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Kaleigh: If you come down 83S. you want to get on 30E. when you get into Lancaster county you want to got to the Roherstown Exit that is rt 741. Take rt 741 S till you come to New Danville, at the traffic light in new danville you want to turn right ,not sure what the rt number is. This road will go through Conestoga , you want to stan on this road till you can not go anyfurther . You are now at Safe Harbor , turn left and go till you see a road on your right , follow this road right into the dam. I use 7' ugly sticks with bait casting reels. rods are medium to heavy action. The bait that i have the most luck on for flat heads are either large shiners or blue gills. For channel cats i have good luck with fresh chicken liver.