Safe Harbor dam on the Susquehanna River

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by kaleigh, Oct 22, 2006.

1. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Do any of the Bros or Sisters,have any info on Safe Harbor? I had heard they had a fishing pier,but on their website I cannot get any info.I will be fishing from shore so I would appreciate and help I can get.:big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :hungry: :0a35: :0a34:

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    There is a bridge that runs the above/along the dam. It's open for fishing during daylight hours. There is bank access on the north/east side of the river with stairs leading down to the bank. It does sometimes flood though with all the water output, but there are warning lights and sirens that will tell you when to move.

I much preferred fishing along the dam as that's where the best access is and where all the fish were caught. The rocks along the shore are sometimes hard to navigate too.

Good luck, where ever you choose to fish.

3. setup1

setup1 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Kaleigh
    I fish from the bridge at Safe Harbor all the time. There is a parking area as you enter the dam area, you park there and walk to the guard building that leads out onto the bride. If you plan on fishing from the bridge you should have a bridge net or you may not get the big ones up over the bridge. There are large channel cats and Flatheads as well as nice Walley this time of year.

4. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Thanks for the responses!!!!!!!!!! If I am on rt83 S how do I get there??

5. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    you want to go on rt 222 south through lancaster, at the end of lancaster take route 324 about 10 10 miles and at the dead end make a left and about 1 mile you will be there

6. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    What do you guys use for bait?Around here chicken livers are the bait of choice.Any thoughts?

7. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Mike, I'd suggest creek chubs for bait. I usually use 3-4 inch chubs for my catfishing. I use chicken livers for channels but the big flatties that the fish and game commission said have moved into the Susquehanna watershed go for moving bait. To catch the chubs set a minnow trap in any stream with solid moving water or use a light action rod to catch them. Good Luck!

8. setup1

setup1 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Mike, I use chicken liver for channels and the largest shiners I can get for flatheads. Nightcrawlers also work well at times. If you plan on fishing from the bridge I have found that the far end of the bridge seems to yield the largest fish. One note of caution if you fish from the bridge, strap your rod fast to the railing , I have seen to many rods jump the railing when a big one hit and were lost. I use small bungie cords to keep my rods fast ,they are quick and easy to get off.

9. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    baitfeeders reel work great or baitcasters, then you don't have to worry about loosing a rod