Sad sight

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by Mac-b, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Yesterday morning on my way to pick up my client I had slowed my boat down to check out a long point and when I got to idling speed I could not believe what I saw floating on the water at first light. I verified five striper's floating on the surface and there was possibly another one along the shore line.

It is great sport, if you want to call it that, to fish for striper's at night using lights to draw the bait to the boat and then have a field day catching young striper's. Some fishermen catch them for food and others for sport. What they fail to realize is that when you pull a striper up from the deep and then release then back into 80 some degree water with low oxygen content, the stress of the fight and the water conditions creates a situation whereby the striper's odds of surving are slim. South Carolina is all their wisdom has placed a ban on catching striper's in the summer months on the Santee, for this reason.

If I spotted five and possibly six striper's floating in a short period of time, you can imagine how many others that were nearby that I just did not see or take the time to do a survey of the area. I took some digital photo's of the fish, but it appears that the operator of the camera did something wrong or I just did not have enough light.

It is legal to do what the fishermen did, but I don't find it to be a good way to manage the fisheries. What do y'all think about this?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like you said I think its sad..But I bet its due to ignorance..What your doing now is exactly what needs to be done..Educate..When I moved up to Tennessee from Louisiana I had no idea that stripers could'nt survive after catching them in the summertime..Thankfully I haven't caught stripers so I haven't had to worry about it.And I release everything I catch,I rarely keep fish..But I now know what to do to stripers in the summertime..Keep spreading the word..

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Last summer I was fishing for stripers in late July and caught 3 from 60ft depths and soon after I released them I seen them floating at the surface. Since that time I wont fish for stripers that I mark 40ft or deeper. I have also since upgraded my line class to get them in quickly to ensure a quick release and try not to take them out of the water.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hate to hear that Mac...it is a shame! I've read in the tennesee fishing regulations.....that they recommend keeping the stripers caught if the water temp is over 70 degrees. They say the survival rate is very low in warmer water. Most of the stripers I have caught have come in the middle of winter or early spring so it usually isn't a problem to catch and release.:big_smile:

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    when stripers are caught at that depth if you bleed the air from their swim bladder wont they adjust to the depth change?

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I didn't know that. but now that i do. I will keep them if they are legal. Thanks for the info. I mostly catch stripers during the winter.

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree sometimes when the cats are slow.. you truly cant hardly pass up catching some nice size rockfish, But at the same time.. we need to SLOW down and then catch em again in the fall and winter if your a true fishermen. On last thought.. the anglers couldve been fishin with a bait for a largemouth or somethin and the stripers were hungry.. Ya just never know. :smile2::wink:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've only striper fished while catching them on top when bass fishin. I don't condone wasting any sort of fish or animal period. If i catch it and it's gonna die it's going in the grease.

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Even with the deflating of the bladder they are still at a very high risk after a prolonged fight and being released directly into warm water after being handled:sad2:

10. ThaBear

ThaBear New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Lake Norman oxygen levels bottom out in the summer time and along with the hot water the stripers look for cooler waters with an oxygen level they can survive in. This time of the year its around the dam area and to make it worst the herring/alewives also go there for the same reasons. This congregates the stripers in a relatively small space. A few years ago the NCDWR changes the creel size in the summer time to allow fishermen to keep smaller size stripers so they wouldn't have to be thrown back in the lake. The studies showed that normally stripers 16" or smaller could survive when released in the summer time. Our problem is that since the fish are grouped up in this are we have fishermen including a couple of guides that continue to catch fish after they have reached their limit and then start releasing them in the hot surface water with super low oxygen levels, once the fish is released on the surface they then have to find the water with the oxygen levels that can sustain them. If they are lucky they live, if not they die. Its like putting someone in a extremely large completely dark room and telling them to find the door in a minute or you will run out of oxygen. Its a put and take lake and don't have any problems with a fisherman catching his limit, but they need to quit and go home this time of year, winter is a different story...

11. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    You have to use your own Judgement on the fish. Stripers stress out, you can't release the air bladder like you can on a blue cat, they'ed freak out like a shaved cat and be dead. Mostly Because of stress, Being out of the water any length of time in the summer months is almost certain death. But, Mostly its not due to swollen bladders being pulled from deep water, its due to stress. Stripers build up a type of Acid during the fight to the boat. I forget the name. Its extremly Harmful and increase the Mortality rate, greatly!. The warmer the water the worse the threat.... In Winter, Fish can be released even due to deeper waters 40-60ft. Due to the fact of the water Temps, staying relativily the Same.

Heres a Post a Good friend of mine made, Yes he is a full time guide. No I will not say his name or info, being i did not ask him his permission to copy and post this. But this pretty much sums up his and my opinion on the release or harvest of Striped Bass in Summer Months.

"It's a terrible situation being a full time fishing guide and knowing what to do with releasing fish in the summertime. I know that in the summer the mortality rate is high, so I do what I think is best. Last week, I had 2 guys who drove 3 hours down here to fish and we got 6 fish on at the same time when we started at 5:30am. If I had said "We got our limit so we're done!" then I'd have some ticked off clients on my hands. Basically, I have to do what I think is best for the fish and the clients.

Here's my rule of releasing/keeping fish during the summer and I explain this to my clients:
    If the fish is a dink and hooked in the lips, they can be released.
    If the fish is gut hooked, no matter what size, it goes in the cooler.
    If the fish's fins are red, its going in the cooler.
    If we catch a decent fish from deep water, its going in the cooler.
    Once we have a limit from the above requisites, we're done for the day.

The above is just for me to have a somewhat clearer conscious about releasing fish, but I recommend everyone to follow what Dan Wilson says and what the state recommends.

I'm all for the conservation of stripers and doing the right thing. But like I said earlier, I'm in a tough situation.

It would be hard for any striper fisherman to:
    Drive 2 hours to the lake, then spend 3 hours catching bait from 3am to 6am, then drop lines and catch 2 fish in 2 minutes, then quit and go load the boat on the trailer. I'm not sure if I could do that, but I applaud all who do.

If the people pointing the fingers at me are honestly stopping after 2 fish and putting the boat back on the trailer, then that is awesome and I truly respect and appreciate what you're doing. "

12. Skunk_Ape

Skunk_Ape New Member

State:
    tenn.
    Would the survival rate be better below a dam when the water is generating in probably 20 feet of water?

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Mac as you know I Striper fish also and you may have noticed that I haven't been going all summer long. The reason is because I remember your post from last year ( I think ).

I'm only one man but I will do my part in doing what's right. I did fish once for them last week but my intentions were to get them home for some yummy Striper nuggets , LOL.

I gotta admit that I see a lot of Striper abuse here. I know guys that have a freezer full but yet they still bring them home. In reality I'm not convinced that they even get cleaned and ate...makes me sick !!!!

When is it safe to release them again...is it when the thermocline starts to flip again ?

Also does this also happen with river Stripers or is his primarily a lake thing due to TC ?

The Stripers and I thank you very much for the education...I hope people are willing to sport fish less during summer after seeing this ; )

-Jim-

14. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    When the surface temps drop below 80 the survival rate seems to be much higher. I still fish for them in the summer but I dont usually got hot and heavy again till the last half of October and then Im hell bent till the end of May if the temps are still favorable. Rivers tend to be cooler and the depths we catch them from much shallower so the mortality isnt as high but again a timely fight and release is still key to survival:wink:

15. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I was out ther today playing with my boys on the water and saw a bunch of dead stripers floating near the lower dam.. They should really implement catching your limit and then not fishing for them anymore.. probably saw 30 or more in a small area and most were good fish too... no little ones.. most looked to be about 6 lb. or so....good Norman fish. Quote by rookie 12

Another eye witness report.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont fish fro stripers, but this is sad to hear.

Why dont states just make it illegal to fish for them during the hottest months of the summer?

17. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Some states are doing that right now, such as South Carolina and the impound know as Santee Cooper. North Carolina reg's allow you to keep striper's of any size during the summer, but that does not affect those that catch a bunch of fish and let them go.

18. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Sad an ignorant that's all I got to say about that.

19. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    The water has warmed a good bit since yeterday to 88-89 degrees. Bait was frozen white perch, but the best bait was the fillet off the floating dead striper I found. :wink: Quote by WylieCat on his Lake Norman fishing trip on August 5, 2009.

20. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THATS JUS SAD:embarrassed_2: I HATE SEEING THE PEOPLE AT MY LOCAL FISHING DOCK THROW A FISH BACK THATS BLEEDING AND OR GRAB A FISH WITH A TOWEL AND TOSS IT BACK :crazy:

THE SAD PART IS SOME PEOPLE JUS PLAIN DONT CARE :angry:

I TRYED TELLING A GUY THAT TREBLE GUTTED A 6 LB STRIPER TO KEEP HIM OR GIVE HIM AWAY CASUE HES GOAN DIE, HE SAYS " NAW, I WANA CATCH HIM ANOTHER DAY "

:0a19::0a15::0a4::beat_brick::angry::angry::angry:

YA...........................................................