Sad News For Lake Wateree Veterans

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 7, 2010.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    WSOC NEWS
    http://www.wsoctv.com/news/22176727/detail.html

Clearwater Cove Marina was icy cold and quiet Thursday morning. The marina and boat landing there overlook a beautiful and tranquil Lake Wateree in Kershaw County, South Carolina.

Just behind the marina convenience store, fire investigators found the bodies of 57-year-old Tommy Phillips and his wife, 56-year-old Lib Phillips.

Their home burned to the ground just before midnight Wednesday. Campers across the lake saw the towering flames, and called 911.

The couple ran the marina on Baron-DeKalb Road a few miles north of Camden for as long as most people can remember. They held large fishing tournaments each year, even hosting one for more than a hundred children. The fishing gear was free, and everyone got a prize.

"They were the most wonderful people I’ve ever met," said Donald Hinson, who often fished tournaments at Lake Wateree. "Lib would be out there at four in the morning cooking. Cold in the winter, hot in the summer, it just didn't matter."

Family members and close friends embraced each other and cried outside the smoldering ruins of the house. They did not want to talk with reporters.

Sheriff Steve McCaskill also knew the Phillips family well. "The community is still in shock. Our heart really goes out to the family," McCaskill said. "This is really just a terrible tragedy for everybody."

Kershaw County Coroner Johnny Fellers told Eyewitness News that the couple died from smoke and fume inhalation. Sheriff's deputies and agents with the state law enforcement division were on scene, but McCaskill said that's standard procedure for a deadly fire, and there was no evidence of foul play.

The house that the couple lived in was very old, and was raised up on stilts in case the area ever flooded. That also made the house more vulnerable to fire, McCaskill said.

"Usually you only have fire going over top of a house, but it would've gone under it too," he said. "With that wind blowing across the lake last night, it would've really turned it into a furnace."

The fire also destroyed a large shop building the sat in front of the house. Investigators are not saying how the fire started, or where. However, the damage is so severe, they may never know for sure.

For the many people who knew them well, Tommy and Lib Phillips were an institution, and the lake has somehow changed now, forever.

"It'll never be the same going up there again without them there," Hinson said.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/22176727/detail.html

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Sad news indeed. Thanks for letting us know.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's awful, Dieter. Prayers out to the family.

Bill in SC

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yes, what Bill said.

5. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    yeah,(also)what Bill said... :(

6. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That is sad news for sure, Tommy was a good man, he once loaned me some tools to fix the hub on my trailer on a sunday morning, and the trailer was at a hotel near the interstate. He didn't know me from the next fisherman there, but was willing to help out anyway. A traggic loss for sure.

7. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Ive known them both for many years,,very nice folks for sure. I'd allways call in the summer time and Lib would let me know if anyone was doing good on the stripers.Even if the store was closed most times Lib was at home,you could go knock on the door,tell her you needed some ice and a drink or two,she would walk down and open up for ya.They will be missed.My prayers go out to their family and close friends.Sad news for sure.

8. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    will be praying for the family.

9. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Haven't been down there yet , but I'm sure they were not deserving of this fate. My prayers go out to the family as well as all others affected by the loss.

What's going on with the names?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
  11. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    prayers sent.

12. catfever

catfever Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    So sorry to hear that, prayers sent.

13. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yeah that is bad news dont know them personally but did shop at there store a few times

14. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    same here:Shocked:can any tell me how to reply with out a quote

15. FishN4Fun

FishN4Fun New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This is truly a tragic loss. I knew them both as well as was friends with their children. I used to spend the night occassionaly in the summers. My thoughts and prayers go out to their kids.

16. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Skiff1, the "Reply to Thread" is at the bottom of the page on the left