Sad day On the maumee river. Ilegally netting flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Jun 13, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I copied this post with the authors permission, from another forum.

If this dont make ya mad nothing will.

So I get a phone call from one of my buddies that I work with at Bass Pro in Rossford, he says he is at one of the dams on Maumee river and was just watching guys fish when he saw two foreign looking guys coming up out of a river with a rope (not a stringer) with about 25 flatheads on it. They had one that was about 45 lbs, and 2 other fish that were easily over 35 inchs Now my buddy told me that he saw the guys walk out in the river with their fishing poles, but with no bait and saw that they had a rather large net (seine) sticking out of a back pack. When they went out in the river, they went behind a small island where a decently well known hole is. What these idiots had done is netted all of those fish out of this hole (this section of maumee river is about 3 ft average depth.) When my buddy confronted them, they acted like they didn't understand english and left the area immediately. My buddy called the ODNR and reported them. This has started to become a real problem on maumee river. It seems like every other day I go out there I see individuals doing things that are illegal out on the river. I have reported many a time to the wildlife officers about some of the things that go on out there and I don't really know if anything is getting done. It just frustrates me to see such a great fishery get thrashed by people who are out there who don't follow the rules.

2. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    That just makes me sick..

3. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yep, that kinda crap will definatly start your blood boiling, if a phone call to DNR didn't seem to do any good, maybe a call to the department of immigration might've.

4. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    makes me sick :angry: id call the sheriff and see if they could detain them till odnr got there and could see what there doing

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just got in from fishing and I'm ready to log off and go to bed- and have to see a post like this.:angry: I'll come Back to this after I get some sleep.:wink:

6. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    man, they dont understand how much people actually put into fishing those big brutes and they just going around netting them.... very sickning:angry::angry::angry::angry:.the ODNR will catch up to them they just don't tell everybody what they do, so you never know.....RAT

7. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    hopefully they get busted and the shit$ from eating all of the meat

8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    take some pictures of them doing the dirty deed, now go to your car and put the camra away and get the 9 mm and that brand new rope you bought at ace haedware. hang them from a tree with a sign around their neck saying this is the punhisment for net fishing.

bet they understand that......:wink::eek:oooh::crazy:

9. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    HORRIBLE!!!! The thing is this is happening everyday and just not in the Maumee. I remember a post made by Jack last year about hoop nets being pulled from the Scioto. Everyone of us should have this number in our cell phones 1-800-POACHER (762-2437)!!

10. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tell 'em they're netting largemouth and you'll get results.

11. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Tell em smallmouth instead. It is closed season on smallmouth right now below the dam. They are just as protective of the smallmouth here as they are the walleye.
    I don't understand what the difference is in this post andd the post I made last year almost identical about illegal mexicans taking so many channels that it took 3 of them to drag the stringer, and not small channels.
    It seems to me a lot of flathead fishermen look down on the channels and there is not the out cry of abuses of them. I like to fish for big channels and when I see 15-20 over 10 lbs taken by people who don't even belong in the country let alone the river it gets my blood boiling, much the same as dedicated flat fishermen.
    All I keep hearing is cpr your flats and keep your channels. Hook a channel over 20 lbs and you got a fight that feels like a 30-40 lb flat. When the attitude towards channels gets changed I'll change my attitude towards flats. As long as it is a LEGAL caught fish do what you legally want with it, eat it or fertilize the garden

12. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    A thread like this makes every one mad at the people that r taking fish illegally ,we can all agree it is wrong . THERE have been some threads on here recently where I had a different opinion than a lot of you posting here ,[got zapped].yall know the one i,m talking about :wink: .
    This is a different topic ;that is not legal anywhere i know of ;.hope not anyway ,it is a shame for anyone to illegally take fish out of the river's an lakes in this great country for their personal gain . i guess the only thing we as fishermen can do is to REPORT THEM TO PROPER PEOPLE IN YOUR STATE ,AN NOT BECOME LAW BREAKERS OURSELFS:wink:

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    At least the guy called ODNR how many would just sit there and stew?

14. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm absolutely sick of people doing crap like this. I'd like to put the smack down on em' but then I'd be the one going to jail not them. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

15. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land

Oh boy am I pissed! I know the area in question for sure. This dam has a lot of "foreign" fishermen that don't care about keeping everthing they catch, illegally or not. When the conditions are right flatheads come up in large numbers and concentrate near the dam. This is been one of my fears after discovering how concentrated the flats are in this area, that someone just grabs a large net and cleans the whole place out. And no its not just flats I'm worried about its any fish taken illegally, which if taken with a seine or net at this dam would be any fish except minnows or shad.
    :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

16. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    IT,S SAD but atleast we have something we can all AGREE ON :wink:

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds to me like their needs to be some butt-whippin done on that river. I would have personally walked over and took the seine, and cut the rope. It may have been my butt getting whipped, but I would have gave it all I got CAPTAIN! rollo

18. CatfishCC

CatfishCC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The ODNR needs start doing there job and getting out to the rivers and lakes more often and busting these bums! PERIOD!

Chad

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a darn shame....:angry::angry::angry::sad2:

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio

Joe, maybe I dont say it enough but I want to see the channels protected also..No reason for people to take huge stringers full and clean out a spot.