sad day fishing the ohio

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by catfishingricky, Jan 24, 2010.

1. catfishingricky

catfishingricky Member

State:
    kentucky
    put in at daylight, caught a few fresh shad, looked like when the creek was frozen it killed off alot of them. we seen atleast fifty dead ones floating at the top of the water. so we took the few shad we had and our frozen skipjack, and hit our first spot. hit one that was around 5# but lost it pulling it over drift in the water. so we tried another spot , and tried another spot, and tried another spot with the same kind of bites, little bumps nothing could take a rod down. we fished shallow on the bank, deep, slower moving current, and just could'nt find any fish. fished the bank were me and chris caught most of our fish monday, but still nothing. i think how fast the river came up did something to the fishing. it was like the river was empty. cant ever remember fishing from daylight until dark and not get a take down. the spots we fished always catch fish. we fished at least fifteen - twenty spots. did anyone catch fish this weekend? i read flamkeepers post his day was just like mine. if anyone caught fish would like to hear about it, see what they did different.

2. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You guys cant be in your right mind.That river on my end is up,up ,up with all kinds of debrise.It's nothing but and accident looking for a place to Happen.But what ever floats your boat.Be careful and hope you got boat Insurance.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    They are probably full of dead shad.

4. catfishingricky

catfishingricky Member

State:
    kentucky
    cant let the drift or the high water scare you. never no might be the day you get the state record. keep your eyes open watch what your doing, you'll be alright.

5. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It's not the things you see and know,it's the things you dont.If I'm ever lucky enough to put that record in my pocket(and trust me it's on my mind).The water will be about 20feet in my area and I can watch my polls and not those 20ft trees looking to end my day.Just call me scared.

6. Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    When we put our new boat in for the 1st time the water was high & full of drift. lol, I only have one weekend...

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I hear ya rick , up river in the Ky it was full of the little stuff coming out of it, but the ohio wasn't that bad at all, you got to keep your eyes peeled though..

Like our other Bro Aaron mentioned, What looks like a small twig might be a root of a monster stump connected to the tree!!!

SO Be Careful out there Bro's !!.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  8. Roadblock

Roadblock New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do most of my fishing in the Ohio river in Maysville, KY. I went down 2 weeks ago on Saturday. It was a beautiful day, low 60's, the water wasn't hig or swift & the color was beautiful. There were some small ice chunks floating down, but not many. Never smelled a bite all afternoon, but still enjoyed myself. I got to test out the new stuff I got for Christmas.

I tried again last weekend. The temps were in the 50's but the river was up about 2 foot and was swift. I had driven down from about 20 miles away, so I thought I'd go ahead and try since I had made the trip. Again no fish, but I caught 6 mud puppies. (either that or I caught the same one 6 times (lol)) I caught no fish though. The extended forecasts showing temps no higher than the low 40's for the next 2 weeks.

Hurry up spring and fairer weather!!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010