Sacramento River in California - Does anyone know any good spots

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by AllenM, May 14, 2006.

1. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Any members fish in the Sac? If so please post some good places for catfishing and other fishing if you know of any, as well as what kinds of fish are in there. I could really use the info!

Thanks! :big_smile:

2. cliffey07

cliffey07 New Member

State:
    Redding, California
    allen to get some cats out of the sac you have to head more into the sac area but there is good trout fishing and salmon during season, if there is a season this year.

3. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I was afraid that would be the response... Tried salmon fishing last season, but don't know squat about it, so didn't even get a single hit. I keep hearing you gotta have a punch card to catch any trout over 22 inches or something like that, cause that's the legal definition of "steelhead" and you can't catch the ones without the fin removed cause those are the wild "protected" ones... On top of it all, you can't pull it out of the water to see if it is over 22" or has that dang fin removed, cause if it's not a legal catch and you even get caught pulling it out of the water to check it, you get one hellatious fine and all your gear taken!

I'll likely be taking my little V hull aluminum fishing boat out there and trying to fly fish one of the slow running offshoots near a place called Scotty's Landing, but ain't sure about putting a 10 HP outboard in the main part of the river. I got no idea how many ponies I'd need out there. If I could get out on the main body of the rivver and find a nice place to anchor off, I'd LOVE to really do some fishing out there. Anyone know if 10 HP would do the job on that water in the vicinity of HWY 32?

4. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    There are some good spots on Minor slough right off the Sac river you can also try 3mile slough where it connects to the Sac River. There are tons of spots are you looking for boat spots or shore fishing spots? Where you thinking of fishing the upper Sac or Lower Sac river. Any of the sloughs connecting to the Sac have cats. I've found a few decent cats right above Rio Vista at Cache slough. Or on the other side at bouy 11

5. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I'm at the top of Glenn County right off the I-5.

6. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Sorry I joined the army and left CA 23 yrs ago and only have fished it twice since with my family back home. I will tell you this there were some really good cat holes on that river! good luck!

7. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO

Try fishing off of Wyatt ave. That area also produces some nice stripers. There's a resturatuant out there on Wyatt, fish behind it seen some nice cats come out of there. You can also try the freeport area a little south of you.

8. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I checked out Google Earth for either of those and can't seem to find either one. Is Wyatt north or south of hwy-32? I've taken 32 through Hamilton City to the East side of the river and then gone South on River Road to a few decent looking places, both N. and S. of W. Sacramento Ave. but never hooked into anything. The offshoot along the top end of River Road is completely choked with thick stalked aquatic plants. I've thought about trying topwater lures there for bass, but not sure if I want to take that high of a risk of losing them. Heard some kid pulled an 8 pound bass out of there last summer though. I need to spend some money on some heavy duty weedless stuff before going there I think...

Anyhow, I'm gonna try there again soon with cut bait at dusk and see if any cats are in that overgrown offshoot. If you can give a little more detail on where those places you mentioned are located, I'd really appriciate it.

Thanks.

9. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    You need to get yourself a good map of the sac river I believe "fish-n-map" may have something you could use. I got one awhile back for all of the Delta area up norht and its fanatastic land marks and everything and its water proof.

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Allen, check out "merrits landing" in clarksburg! Its right off of 5 just south of elk grove. There is sturgeon, stripers, cats, bass, salmon, shad and a few others! Tight Lines!

11. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Thanks, but that's a bit far for me, Deltalover. I'm pretty much up for anything North of Lake Oroville and South of Lake Shasta.

I'll look into that map suggestion Vini, thanks. Also, I asked in another thread but don't know if you'll see it so I'll ask again here; did you ever shop for aquatics at Mary's Pets off of Ashlan when Mary still owned it behind the carwash, or right after it got moved to the front of the shopping center next to the grocery store there? I'm wondering if you ever came in for crickets or goldfish possibly for bait? This was back around the time 9/11 happened that I was the aquatics manager there.

12. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno

those maps that company has a the best get one for you're area and you're going to find alot of spots that way.

Nope never been in the store I know the car wash you're talking about though I think, thats right by fishermans warehouse used to be went in there plenty of times> I think the store you're talking about is SaveMart?

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Allen,
    I been to Mary's back then. Why did they close down?

14. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, Mary let Lori run it into the ground when we tried to move to the front of the shopping plaza. All the kids working then were coming in, organizing the shelves in the new store, deiciding it was fun and re-organizing, and RE-re-organizing... Milked the clock basicly. I told Mary and Lori both that they needed to get the place going and limit the hours being wasted on the clock, and I refused to come in and work when there was nothing for me to do but stand around or join the kids wasting time RE-re-reorganizing the stock ion the shelves. told them that I'd LIKe to have a store to work in a couple months down the line and at this rate there wouldn't be one. They ignored me, laid me off along with about 3 other the following month, then a month or 2 later Mary had to close up shop just like I'd predicted. Sold it to some heavty set lady who didn't like fish and let the aquatics dept completely fall apart. I think because of that, SHE ran it into the ground a second time and sold it to some asian guy. dunno what happened since then cause I moved away.

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    That sucked! Mary had a good lil fish store going. A lot of potential. :sad2:

16. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Yah, it was a real shame that her ex husband drove it into the ground the very first time, when it was called Sea World Pet World. It was THE petsore in Fresno until his "midlife crisis" caused them to lose their distributors and all that. when it went under Whities became the #1 store in town. I worked at Whities in the aquatics department for a litle over a year before I went to Mary's.

17. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Allen I am not sure if you are familiar withthe washout south of scotty's. It is on the right hand side if you are heading south. It has great fishing at times. I have caught many shad out of there. People also fish it for salmon and stripers. If you go to the south end of it a creek runs into the sac. Should be a good place for cats. Stripers are caught there often on cut bait. I watched some salmon come out of the feather today but my fishing partner and I were not the lucky ones. Though we only devoted an hour to it. You live in a great area we are surrounded by amazing fishing. If you want striper or Salmon you can also head north to my area and fish around woodson bridge. I may be out at Black Butte this weekend if I can swing it. Maybe I will run into you out there. Good fishing to all!