Sac A Lait, Gaspergoo, and a Houseboat

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by MrsBuck8Point, Apr 14, 2007.

1. MrsBuck8Point

MrsBuck8Point New Member

State:
    Plaquemine, La
    Well it's been way too long since I've posted fishing related information, so it's about time I've shared some pictures.

We'll be eating these fish tonight :big_smile:

Doug and I recently purchased a houseboat, and have been enjoying fixing her up and doing some fishing while working. We plan to use her as a hunting and fishing camp to provide much relaxation.

I caught the 7 pound gaspergoo yesterday using a zebco 404 that was left on the houseboat. A boat with 3 young men was passing as my pole bent near the water. I received a standing ovation for the goo's performance, pulling drag and fighting like a redfish. I had no time to wave to them, but gave them a friendly nod and smile, as the fish was not yet in the net. :tounge_out:

Doug missed the whole fight because he was out getting gas for the pressure washer. Well, he got to see the big ole smile on my face when he got back. He said that made up for missing the drag screaming fun.

Now, it's time for us to catch some catfish. Those will be the next pictures.

Attached Files:

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Congrats on the fish the house boat looks cool.

3. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Nice fish call us when it's time to eat.:big_smile: :big_smile:

4. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Nice fish, bet that was a fun fight.

5. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    I had never seen or heard of a goo fish until I moved to La. I cought some with a buddy but he wouldn't let me keep any kept saying they were a trash fish not fit to eat. they looked fine to me so are there any special trick to cooking them or do they just have an undeserved rep as a trash fish?

6. MrsBuck8Point

MrsBuck8Point New Member

State:
    Plaquemine, La
    I grew up calling them trash fish too. I remember frying one a long time ago and not like the texture at all. Recently, I told a friend of mine that we caught plenty of them in Cote Blanche Bay and always released them. He liked to have a heart atack hearing that. He swore to me they taste great baked. So, I'm gonna give it a try tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. I've also heard people say that you've got to skin them or bleed them. I've never tried any of that, but you never know. I hope baking them is the key.

7. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    Yeah I bet baking them would be good. You gonna do it like a stew with maters and onion or with some shake and bake and a little extra tony?

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    April, it's like old times, seeing you post here again.

Eat the Sac A Lait first, just in case the goo ruins your apetite.

If you can, repost that pic of that monster gar you caught and show these folks what catching monsters is all about:lol:

9. MrsBuck8Point

MrsBuck8Point New Member

State:
    Plaquemine, La
    Chad, I held off on cooking the goo. Tonight, I'm gonna bake it with onions, bellpeppers, carrots, maybe a little olive oil or butter. I'll season it up good too. Keeping my fingers crossed :big_smile:

Bob we sure did eat the sac a lait last night. Mmmm Mmmm.

We need to get a gathering together like old times too. And do some fishing.

I put out a minnow trap at the houseboat hoping to catch a few crawfish for bait. Well to my surprise, we caught river shrimp! Bayou Plaquemine empties out right at the Intracoastal right were the boat is. Cool! It's gonna be a nice summer.

This is for you Bob. Here's that pic of the garfish I caught with Casey. Shoot here's a nice catfish too.

Attached Files:

10. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey April, nice to see you posting again. Man that is a nice house boat. I am jealous lol:big_smile: .

Speaking of Goo. I still cannot get rid of the nickname Goomandu that I got from catching a bunch of Goos at a couple of Arkansas gatherings lol:embarassed: .

Me and Tabitha will be going to a fishing tournament that they are putting on at work this weekend.. It will be in Henderson. We rented a small boat from the Basin Landing instead of bringing the bay boat. The weigh in and the cooking of the pig in the Cajun Microwave will be at the Frenchmans Creek campground in Butte Larrose. Me fishing fresh water, man that should be funny lol:lol: . I hope the Goos leave me alone lol :crazy: .

Talk to you later, Randall.:006:

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks April, that fish still amazes me.

Randall, seeing you and April posting so close together, sure brings back memories. Good luck avoiding them goo's

12. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You are right Bob, it sure does. I miss those days. I made my very first gathering with April, Casey, Denny, David and my wife Tabitha on the Miss. River south of Baton Rouge. Me and Tabitha camped out on a sand bar. Man was that a night to remember lol:lol: . That was the last we sleep in our tent without a air mattress:roll_eyes: . I think my back still hurts :lol: .

13. MrsBuck8Point

MrsBuck8Point New Member

State:
    Plaquemine, La
    Bob, sure is like old times. I like that :big_smile: I gots a lot of catching up to do here. So when yall coming on the houseboat? :big_smile:

Randall, you and your family are welcome anytime on the houseboat. There's plenty of goo's to be caught :big_smile: Sounds like a nice tournament in Henderson. I've went to a Mardi Gras party at that campground. It's pretty nice. I heard they were catching some bream before this cold snap. I wish yall luck. Keep us posted with a report. I've always liked Henderson, so I'm jealous now, lol.

Speaking camping, It was a night to remember!! Getting back to the landing in reverse!! Wow! I don't think I could do that again, lol. Doug and I got an air mattress while camping the Natchez Trace due to the hard ground. Now that's camping!:cool2:

Well believe it or not, goo tastes pretty good baked. It's got a nice sweet flavor like black drum, but with a slight rubbery texture. I'd eat it again baked. Pictures to follow. . .