Sabine River

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by jstall, May 25, 2007.

1. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I have been fishing the Sabine all week, running lines. Yesterday I saw a guy checking his line and watched him pull in a Spoon Bill cat that was about 45lb. I knew they put them in the river, yesrs ago but have never caught one are saw one caught until yesterday. I was headed in and saw another guy with one on his trout line, it was about 15lb. I have not been doing well on my lines. I have tried bream, chicken hearts, earth worms, shad without success. Catalpa worms, that I do not have are catching more cats then anything. My neighbor keeps moping up with catalpa worms. I have done best on fresh shad. Had four number 4/0 hooks straighten out but fish caught are running small.
    Good fishing
    Joe

2. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    With all the recent rain how high is the river and how bad is the current. I have been out there before when it was high and like to got into big trouble because i was runnin my lines and happen to look up and there was a tree coming down river. If i had not seen it, I hate to think about what would have happened.

3. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    The river is what I would call normal level. There is no current at all. They must not be generating. I have never seen the river so still. Water is off color but cleaning. You can see about 10" down along the banks.

4. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    i live like 10 minutes from the river. they have been generating up at toledo bend. everyday from 2 to 8. 3 to 8 on the weekends. anacoco creek runs into the sabine where i live. im planning on going out to the river tonight. id like to go with yall in a boat since i have no boat down here. i was told there are big blues, flats, and channels inthere. if yall want you can call me at home. if im not here leave a message. my number is 337-463-4901. thanx yall tight lines and screamin drags to yall

5. thenightstalker

State:
    indiana
    by the way...i live below toledo bend. i seen one of yall was from gary texas and from what i seen that is above toledo bend. im wanting to fish below. yall let me know where yall are at

6. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Yes, you are right. Gary is at the start of Toledo Bend. I would like to fish the river, below the dam. I have never been there and do not know what the river looks like below the dam. Take some picture and post them on here for us. We do not hear much about the river below the dam. I have fished the Angelina below the Rayburn dam. It is great; water very clear until you reach the Natchez then it gets muddy. They have Kentucky bass there.
    Good fishing
    Joseph

7. thenightstalker

State:
    indiana
    im going up there this weekend rain or shine. ill give you pics of the dam and a good stretch of the river below. im new to the area and just learning about it myself. im unemployed at the moment so i have plenty of time to explore...that is if halliburton dont call me back saying time to go...but ill also get some pics of pendelton bridge. it was there i had a good time last weekend catching many barfish and gar. unfortunatly no cats but i got a trick up my sleeve for this weekend. snagging crossed my mind since it is legal but thats like cheating. i like to use my live and cut baits. ill get pics for ya. keep intouch though. being new here there isnt no one to talk to and yall are all ive got at the moment

8. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Will be glad to help out any way I can. I fish around the P. Bridge as often as I can. Most of the time I meet my cousin and we fish out of Lowes Creek. We have fished there for years. Hard to believe you did not catch any Cats. I understood they were bitting in the lake on trout lines. I am not doing well in the river right now. It is high and muddy. That foam is on the river and I can tell you, what every causes the foam the fish do not bit well when it is present.
    Good fishing
    Joe

9. thenightstalker

State:
    indiana
    take me fishing with ya...that would help me out alot:cool2:
    like i siad i am going back either tomorrow night or saturday night. i was talking with some of the locals here and come to find out there is a nice hole on the downstream side of the bridge(P) i was throwing over the hole from what they were telling me. but at night i know the cats come to the shallows to feed. since i knew the area a little better now i know that i can stop and unload my stuf then go park which will enable me to take alot more stuff then i previously have. i love the no pole limit they have here!!! back at home we are limited to three. hell even some waters have hook restrictions of no gap wider than half inch. my bait wont even fit on that hook let alone a monster cat. get back with me. we should plan a trip here on the lower stretches.

10. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    There are many stupid laws up north. That is one reason I have always hated see so many northern people moving here. I have been afraid they will influence the lawmakers to implement rules here as they have up north. Fishing seasons, pole limits, hook size, etc. Sorry if I am stepping on toes here. One thing I hated was the two-foot long license plate you have to ware on your back to hunt. I will let you know next time I head your way to fish. Would enjoy having you along.

11. thenightstalker

State:
    indiana
    yall down here have got it going on. its the way it SHOULD be. i love every aspect of fishing here. the wardens up there are reall assholes. you can be doing nothing wrong and be friendly as can be, but they act like your the worst person in the whole world. i was fishing a river with a half inch hook restriction. catfishing of course with a 12/0 circle hook. we have salmon runs out of lake michigan there. anyways, he was going to give me a 180 dollar tickjet for using those hooks. i said "i tell ya what. if i can snag a salmon with this circle hook ill kiss your ass and pay double the fine." i had the nerve to be crappy back. taking the hook and pulling the line across my arm as hard as i could showing that i couldnt even snag myself deliberatly! he was sort of shocked, checked my license, then went on his way.

12. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have to say that the Angelina river is very good fishing. The Neches is known for big catfish especially flatties. I work in Jasper and fish Rayburn, Angelina, and Neches all the time. Good Fish out here.