Sabine River

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by jstall, Jan 22, 2007.

1. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I fished the Sabine yesterday 01/21/07. I fished out of Joaquin and went up and down river, about five miles both ways. Did not catch anything. I fished Night Crawers and Minnows.
    There were no fish showing on the fishfinder in the main river. It was showing fish close to the sides in 24ft or less. My neighbor showed up while I was loading my boat. He told me some guys he worked with had caught White Bass the day before, the 20th. Going to try again soon.

2. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    What is the water level like? I fish a bit up north from you from the 79 launch and sometimes you can't get your boat in there because it's just to shallow. I have caught and seen some of the biggest fish of my life in that river and am convinced there are monsters in there. I have never fished it anywhere else but from 79 and we usually just find a sandbar to camp on and flathead fish for a few days at a time. We can stay for days and never see another boat or human! now thats rare these days! Can also get a bit creepy at night sometimes, I mean real wilderness! We will be there this spring..water level permitting.......I can't wait.

3. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    If you read this I am sorry I got busy and did not see you reply. It is Fed 23 and they are catching White Bass like crazy. There is a guy running lines and doing fare. He is catching fairly big fish. I talked with him tonight. He is camped at McFaddin's. From 79 there is the FM2517 launch. Fairly deep water good fishing. Next down river is McFaddin then Yellow dog. All good water and good fishing. Come farther down you will like the fishing.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Every few months, I pass over the Sabine at 79 and planned on fishing it back in early January on the way back from taking my youngest son to La. Tech after Xmas break, but the river was high and muddy. Also checked out he FM area, similar conditions. Went to Murvual and didn't find anywhere to camp, so drove on down and fished Rayburn. I fish out of a kayak and, most of the time, the Sabine looks ideal for that kind of fishing. Maybe I'll get to it later in the spring.

5. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    There are three good places to camp on Murvaul. Two are free one is a county park and they charge to camp with RV's but tent camping is free, I think. The County park is off of FM 1970. Another is off FM 1971 close to the Dotson bridge. The river is great for Kayaking right now.

6. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    A good spot is River Ridge, south of Carthage, they have a camp site and a good ramp at the river. The white bass are good to 3 lbs. and easy to catch your limit daily. Check out their web site for the pics., lots of nice cats caught out of there.

7. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    Anyone been on the sabine lately? I'm goin this weekend and fish for flatheads with stumplines. I'll be fishing from 79 and headed south to a couple favorite spots. Hoping to catch some bream for bait but if not i'll have to use goldfish. I'm thinkin i moght be a week or so to early but i can't wait any longer..lol

8. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    The catfishing is good right now, but the blues and channels are much hotter than the flats at this point. Bream are still hard to catch R&R out of the river as well. If you take shrimp, nightcrawlers, chicken livers, and cutbait you'll clean up. I guess you could buy goldfish if you're having trouble with bream.

9. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    Well didn't do to good with the flats...only caught one on goldfish. The channel cats are biting though and we did pretty good on them. There are alot of people fishing sandbass right now and catching them by the hundreds. I think it may be just a bit early for good flathead fishing.

10. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    I just thought i'd point out that the snakes aren't out in full force yet! Didn't have to deal with even one this time. Usually when i tie my lines there is a snake on just about every darn branch. That place really is infested with them, they are everywhere down there and i tie my lines way up in all the stumps and shrubs where they are. You are right the bream are hard to come by right now so we had to use goldfish....I hate that!