Sabine river/Toledo bend

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by thenightstalker, Jun 25, 2008.

1. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    has anybody been fishing these waters? just wondering how the fishing is

2. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I fish there every now and then. I run yoyo's there for catfish and crappie. Mostly in the spring.

3. farmerdan

farmerdan New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I run trotlines out of Converse. You can catch Opps and blue cat on brim out on the tree lines in 8 to 10 feet of water. If your looking for bass, they can be found around A-1/Wrights/or Holly Point. I don't fish the deep water down by Pendelaton Bridge but I hear the fish are easy to catch down there.

4. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I fished the Sabine last week, up river above Yellow Dog. We caught a lot of small catfish. We only go eight keeps. The river is muddy. I am sure the larger cats are bitting but we just did not find them.
    Good fishing, Jake

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
  6. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    i live 2 miles of the sabine havnt had much chance to fish with rod n reel on it yet but running lines its nothing to catch 200 pounds of fish a night on live perch or cut perch im in the middle of restoreing my boat so been awhile since i have hit the river

7. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    How deep are the cats running right now? Have you tried Catalpa worms?

8. roger long

roger long New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    we are coming down from oklahoma to fish big cat splash. we fished the one at lake fork tx. all we caught was chanell cat are they any big blues in this lake? any info. would be appreciated

9. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Roger there's blues in the lake, but there's also titanic size Flatties in there! Many monsters in the 90's have been caught on trot-lines! If all the stars line up, we will be fishing it too! Good luck!

10. roger long

roger long New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thank you four the info. do you no where to catch shad?

11. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    big blues an flats both in there havent fished the lake any but the river running to the lake i fish alot i was planing to fish that but i have other things i have to do on the dates ruined my plans for the big cat splash oh well maybe next time good luck to those of u competeing in it but i would look for deep holes around structure for the big fish

12. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Roger, word is that the cats are tearing it up on jugs and noodles on the flats in the big lake. Nothing happening on the Sabine. Can't buy a bite. Look for shad at retaining walls and boat ramps at daylight. If you are near Logansport, there are generally plenty of shad at the retaining wall north of the bridge.

13. roger long

roger long New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i live on kerr lake in oklahoma we fished yesterday till dark only caught one small blue 2 lbs. hope you all are doing better

14. farmerdan

farmerdan New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I caught one 20.2 lb blue on cut bait last weekend in the Converse flats and ended up with 18 small blues also on shiners. They were in 4 to 8 foot of water in the stumps...

15. roger long

roger long New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    we fished the splash friday and saterday. we could not find the fish. we fished 5 to 55 foot water only caught 8 fish both days. we did win some money. it was the hardest fishing we ever done. a local man won the boat with a 41 lbs. blue i think it was the only fish he weigh in. we will be back next year.

16. farmerdan

farmerdan New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I'm a goin to Toledo Tomorrow afternoon. I plan on using shad and cut bait in the flats again just south of Converse. I'll let ya'll know what i find out....

17. Katfishing Cajun

State:
    Louisiana
    Good luck out there!:cool2:

18. farmerdan

farmerdan New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    We ended up with 14 kittys this past Saturday night. One was 26.6, 24, we had two 15 another at 12 and a 10...I didn't weigh the smaller ones... We took pictures with my daughter's camera and the date is wrong. These were caught this past weekend just out of Converse...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84444
    Look at post # 1623 for my pics of the weekend's catch...

19. Katfishing Cajun

State:
    Louisiana
    Daniel, that's some good looking cats! Looks like y'all had a good time!:cool2:

20. farmerdan

farmerdan New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Shane, We don't do much of nothin at the camp in Converse. We usually leave bossier/shreveport around 8pm on friday night and don't come home till around noon or so on Sunday. We would catch more if we didn't nap so much.... I've got some video just got to figure out how to post that..