Sabiki

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by foodsaver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone out there fish with sabiki rigs for bait? If so how do you rig it up?

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have used them for threadfin shad. I use an ultra light spinning rig with 6 pound test and about a 1/4oz of weight. Toss it out and retrieve it with short sweeping movements!

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Craig, yea I use sabikis to catch bait. If you are talking about the store bought ones they are self explainatory. If you are talking about making one, I would get some brightly colored flies, ice jigs,or popeyes and tie two or three in a string with a weight at the end of it. Usually 3/8 or 1/2 ounce is a good weight for the end of the line. When using sabikis you usually want to reel them fairly fast, because even with the best spinning reels it is hard to outrun a skipjack. For larger skippies you can tie a couple of crappie jigs in tandem. Remember they usually prefer bright colors like white, red, pink, chartreuse, or yellow. I have caught the smaller ones in the summer and fall on a few gold crappie hooks tied in a string, then just rip it through the water beside the boat when they are running.