sabiki rigs

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Jimmy Don, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Is there anyplace in the Little Rock area that keep sabiki rigs in stock. I'm wanting to try my hand a skipjack fishing this spring.

Do they keep them in stock at Zimmerman's on University Ave. or maybe up at Hatchet Jack's.

What size jigs do ya'll use on them?

How do you fish them?

What time of year do the skips start gathering up at the base of the dams?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you want to go the sabiki route, you first need to determine what size and how many hooks you want on the rig. This can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even different models by the same manufacturer. Some of us prefer to simply tie on a couple of crappie jigs in tandem. Even if you prefer sabiki rigs, keep the idea of the crappie jigs in the back of your mind just in case you run out of sabiki rigs.

Jimmy Don shoot me a PM sometime and we'll have a mini-meet for coffee. lunch, or whatever; might even work up a fishing trip if I can get well long enough. Been fighting bronchitis the past six weeks; finally seem to be getting over it. Karokecatfish & Gardenhawk are generally free to join us right now, since Gardenhawk's temp job ended after a year.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Cabelas has them in their Saltwater catalog or you can go on line.:big_smile:

4. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Just tie 4 or 5 jiggs on your line using a spinning real and go to town.....That is what I do, anyways. That way you can switch up colors and the size of the hooks if you want. Skips can get pretty big.

5. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ole skippy is fun to fish for but my personal favorite rig for them is a crappie jig with a blade on it because those skips are looking for tiny shad to eat and the blade in the sun produces a flash in the water and you can just absolutley bust them this way. i usually tie atleast three on and go to town. the skips left the upper part of the ohio when the water temp hit 52 degrees so im expecting them back at 55 degrees and when those baby shad start jumping everywhere.

6. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I take that back...I like Shiloh's style.

7. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Jimmy Don - sent you a P.M, Myself and Poisonpits, maybe top, will be at the Nuke Plant thios Saturday. You and anyone else is welcome to join us. I will be taking my boat along with me.

8. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I appreciate all of the info. and the fishing invite for this weekend. As I told Newton in a pm, I'm nursing a bad back right now and couldn't possibly sit in a boat right now.

I'm really ready to get out there and do some fishing. I've got two new rigs that I'm dying to try out.

9. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Jimmy Don

To answer your question, I do not think anyone in LR carries sabiki rigs. I looked everywhere last fall, including where you mentioned and had no luck. I ordered mine from Cabela's.

Grits

10. Punkinsdad

Punkinsdad New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can find them on Ebay too. There are about 3 main dealers. Nothing beats the herring to me.

Thanks

11. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Bass Pro has 'em too, I just can't visualize casting a sabiki, but then the only place I've ever used mine was offshore in the Gulf.

You can google up more sites for them than you can read in two hours.