Sabiki Rigs

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I have a few Sabiki rigs for catchin skipjack but bluegill is more readily available. Does anyone know if bluegill can be caught using a Sabiki rig?

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Bluegill can be caught on sabiki rigs. That is actually all I have ever caught on mine. It helps if you but some sort of bait on the hook, like hotdogs.

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    What is a sabaki rig? I've never heard of it.

4. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    A sabiki rig is a bunch of small jigs on a main line used for catching baitfish.

I hope the pic gives a decent description...

Attached Files:

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Sabaki rigs work awesome for bluegill! I like to catch bluegill off the bottom with sabaki rigs, I just put about a 2-3 oz weight on the bottom of it and put some tiny pieces of cut up nightcrawler on the hooks. Sabaki rigs have like 5 or more hooks on them usually so you can just put the bait on all of the hooks. Sometimes you will even catch like 2-3 bream at a time. And occasionally you even catch something big on them while your bluegill fishing like a big bass, carp, etc. I almost only use sabaki rigs now for fishing for bream. I'm telling you, they work awesome! I catch them even in the winter with sabaki's. Definitely give it a try.

Good luck:)

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

They are great for skipjack! Sometimes we get more hits on crappie jigs than sabikis though. Color can make a big difference too. I've seen one color outfish another 4:1 fished side by side.

As for gills on sabikis, just give it a try. If they don't work and you know the gills are there, try a beetle spin. Ultralight fishin for gills can be a lot of fun! Especially if you take a kid along. They usually don't care what they catch as long as they are cathing SOMEthing!

Good luck!

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm definitely going to have to try it.

8. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I just read in Indiana's regulations that you can't have more than two hooks on one line. Can I still use the sabaki rig? I think I need to Google it and see if I can get a pic.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Sure you can! cut the sabiki rig down . I cut mine in half because it makes it much easer to cast. Also I get more use from one rig I get two from one.:)

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    That sabiki thing seems to me like it will hang up a lot. Just saw one yesterday first one i ever saw.

11. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    I have found that the bait used needs to be the largest thing that the gill sees. Im not saying to use a large bait I use a shot weight about 7" above the bait. I have found that this is far enough as to not distract from the bait. I dont use a bobber ether. If the gills are a little shy then the bobber delays your reaction time. Also if the gill is in the shy mood then I drag the bait by him very slowly and this usually intises him to take it. This method has increased my catch rate tremendously. Dont forget to use a stick to remove the hook. This will help to keep your fish alive. Since I started using the stick removal method 99% of my gill live.

12. SMP_Angler

SMP_Angler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The only thing i have ever been able to catch on my 6 sabiki rigs are bluegill and sunfish, at Shawnee Mission Park, I usually don't put bait on them, mostly because they see the rig and just go for it.