Sabiki rigs

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 20, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i have seen these on bass pro website, do they work in freshwater, or only in saltwater

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    They are mostly used for catching bait, so that means freshwater.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Actually, they're designed to catch bait in salt water, but they work just fine in fresh water, too, especially for bait like herring, white perch, even shad. Be careful, though, those are some of the sharpest little hooks you'll ever see. hehehe There's actually a rod made for fishing with them, where you can reel the sabiki rig up inside the rod blank for safe storage, but those rods cost from $65-$100.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used them for skip jack but they don't work as well as a fuzzy jig rig. They work great in salt water though, I have caught a lot of lady fish and used them for bait. If you use them around here they seem to catch small shad or little skip jack.

5. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Guys,

I like sabiki rigs. I have used them below my local dam to catch skipjack, I also get the occasional white bass. I have also jigged the rig from a dock to catch bluegill for bait.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Works great to catch the Skipjack.:0a26: :0a18:

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Tommy said it all in the above post.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    We use the to catch White Perch. Great set-up for them, and you can load up a rig with six perch when you find a school.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Has anyone ever caught American Shad on them? If so,which ones? I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have fished..once with steve and brandon...umm Clovis and TNvolcatsman(sp?)...who both used sabaki rigs. They definitely catch fish...worked in different ways.
    Clovis, in particular, was able to catch a few gizzard shad, which i do not catch usin the paired crappie jigs. just my observations

cyas
    robert

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    PeeWee, I have caught american shad on them when fishing for herring, but it's hard to do because those shad are pretty large, and the sabiki rig hooks are small (I usually use #8 or #10 hooks). The american shad has a tender mouth, and those small hooks will tear out real easy if you are extra careful, 'cause the shad run and jump like a tarpon sometimes.

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use them to catch skipjack,bluegill and an occasional white bass.

13. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have been following this post, but I still don't what a sabiki rig is. Will someone please explain?

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    And again...Tommy said it all! I mostly have just caught American and Hickory shad on the Sabikis while fishing for Herring. One thing I like to do is use a Sabiki with a spoon on the end, it catches Shad and Herring at the same time.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I will split the sabiki rigs into 2 sets of three hooks then use a white curly tail grub as a trailor for weight to throw them out. I use the bleeding bait hook in a size #6 and as has been mentioned watch these hooks because they are sharp. When fishing these in relatively clear water you will catch more skips than a guy standing right beside you using jigs. When the water is pretty murky the opposite is true and the jigs seem to out perform the sabiki rigs. The skips feed on baby shad and the sabiki rigs resemble baby shad so what ever you throw at them remember you are trying to mimick baby shad.

17. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    just a reminder in the state of Ohio you are only allowed 3 hooks per line and 2 poles so check before using more that 3 hooks ,might save you a large fine ,dont know about other states but it would be worth checking out