Sabiki rigs

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Alabamacatman, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    What is the best size Sabiki rigs to use for catching skipjacks?I was thinking the us #6 fish skin sabiki rigs..What's your thoughts?

2. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Good Question... Im planning a trip to get some skips in Jan. I was looking at them last night and cant figure out what size sabiki's to get...

Looking forward to the replies

3. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    it's hard to believe that I posted this over 5 hrs ago and not many people have responded but id was over a hour before in showed up on the new post thread..maybe more will respond soon

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the Daiichi #6 Bleeding Sabiki rigs. Red Head/White tail. However most of the time we use 1/16 oz jigs with white or chartreuse curly tail grubs. Tied two or three in line. Depends on the state law. I hope this helps

5. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Thanks Mickey..I have always used a couple of crappie jigs tied on the line and it works good but I had heard that the sabiki rigs work better and wanted to try them..Thanks for the info

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm far from being an expert on this, but I found that I got more fish to the bank with the bigger ones (sizes 4 and 6) than I did with the smaller ones. The skips didn't seem to care, they would hit either size, but the smaller sized hooks would often bend out or even break off.

7. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Thanks Gary..That makes since too.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I would think the #6 would be fine size for skipjack. I use jigs and curly tail grubs. The hook on the jigs are probably a # 6 or maybe #4. the larger hooks might keep the smaller ones from getting hooked.I think I would try taking one of the smaller rigs as an insurance factor per chance the smaller skippies were hitting and you couldn't catch them on the larger rig.

9. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Something you may want to make sure of is that they are legal where your going to be fishing. Here in ohio there is a 2 hook law and some people learned the hard way sunday at our local hot water discharge. Game warden didnt give out tickets but did tell everyone to quit using them or cut all but 2 flies off the rig. Something to think about

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    It never hurts to have a range of rigs ready to offer them. I have 3 sizes of Sabikis, 8's, 4's & 2's in different colors of each and also a bunch of pre-tied jig heads in various sizes.
    Can't beat being prepared...W

11. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    thanks for the info fellows ...I just purchased some # 6 rigs to try out first..

12. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Cant go wrong with these 6 hook rigs from bass pro for $2 a piece saves alot of hassle tying 'em up. Come in various Colors and sizes. :wink: Just open back flap tie line to swivel and pull up then hook a sinker on the snap swivel on the end. Got them in all diff colers and styles these two are one size 6 hooks with red heads and white veilskin tails 6 on the rig the other is size 8 hooks and mixed color 3 red 3 white heads alternating with ultraskin tails.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132956&page=3

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010