Sabiki Rigs

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by WV_Catfisherman, Sep 1, 2009.

1. WV_Catfisherman

WV_Catfisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    been doing some research on these Sabiki Rigs, hadnt even heard of them before a few months ago and have never fished with one, and ive read about people jigging them. are they using a bobber to do this? if so about how big a bobber are they using? when not using a bobber, if i understand right, there clipping a sinker to the bottom and dragging it across the bottom. also ive been looking around on the web at buying some and they come in lots of different colors and sizes. what does everyone recommend on color and size? i read some where that the hook sizes are different because there made in japan or something like that. if anyone has a link to a website on what i should get that would be even better. any advice on using this rig would be great.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Not sure about how others use them. I will put a 3/8th bottom bouncer on and basicly just a steady reeling. I'm keeping it up off the bottom, maybe a couple feet under the surface seems to work. I've had the best luck during the winter time around here at a warm water discharge where the shad are schooled up. I also used it down on the James this past winter, basically the same way, while I was fishing. I'd throw out and catch a shad then hurry up and put it on live. I'm no pro with them by any means, but if a dummy like me can use them and catch, it shouldn't be too bad for others to catch.

Actually pretty fun using a sabiki rig. The shad do put up a nice little fight. Have heard guys using them for shipjacks and having a blast.

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    The only use that I have heard of for these rigs is to get Saltwater baitfish. If you have any different information please share!

Ray

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i have used them in saltwater ,an i put a small weight on the bottom of the rig ,let it down to bottom reel up a couple feet an jigg with them

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Raymond, I'm basically using mine for gizzard shad to fish for the Blues. I've also heard from guys using them out in the midwest at times for Skipjacks.

6. WV_Catfisherman

WV_Catfisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    im wanting to use one for skipjacks. theres a pretty big dam here that i want to try to catch some skips then use them for bait. just dont know exactly what to order for skips.

7. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Just do a search. There are a lot of places on-line that sell them. The way that I use them is, put a swivel at one end and, a 1/4 oz jig head with a curly tail grub at the terminal end. Then burn them across the top of the water, with a med. spinning reel. You will find the Skips at low head dams, hot water, or surface discharges. They like fast water. Good luck, Dave

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    We use them all the time for bait. We just use at least a 3/4 oz weight at the bottom. Drop it to the bottom, reel it up a turn or two and jig it or even leave it in the holder while drift fishing for cats. This is how we get perch aka "perch jerkin" or even bream. We tip the ends with a tiny piece of crawler.

For Herring we run lights at night and when they show up we just jig with no worm. I use a size 8 hook with the 12# test line on it. I have green ones atm but you will need to find what colors work good in your waters. You will also need to decide what size hook to use depending on what bait your using.

9. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I use size 12 for the 3 to 6 inch size skippies and size 6 for the larger ones. Mine are a light shade of green there are six of them with a swivel at top and bottom, I use a 3/8 ounce wieght. Do not drag on bottom keep just below the surface with a fast retreival.