Sabiki rigs

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by raysplay, Jul 9, 2009.

1. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Ok need to here from the pro's, first of all the problem I'm have is @ the dam I see the skipjack popping the top of the water after shad and i am using sabiki rig (green head with white wings ) and I fish for example this am for a couple hours before first skip is in the bucket and only leave with a total of three skips and I now there is a lot more there and with time spent should have had a bucket full.
    Sabiki rigs is there a another colar that will work better? the depth I should be fishing ? I usually use about 1/2 onc. is this to heavy or lite? . moral to the the story is tring to be more productive with the time I'm spending.
    Thanks raysplay

2. idahocatfisherman

idahocatfisherman New Member

State:
    idaho
    try setting up a couple of sabiki rigs with a different color for each sabiki rig thats where i would start i use them here in idaho for crappie and the whole 5 hook limit on one line

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Ya gotta keep those sabiki rigs moving fast when the skips are hitting on top:wink: If you see the skips "flashing" at your jigs ..you aint fast enough...also those ones with the wrap colored orange or white or green i get my red sharpie and change them to red & white...there favorite delight!!:tounge_out::wink:

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ray go to a 1/4 ounce sinker and fish the sabukie up in the first 18 inches of the water.only time i fish deeper than that is if i dont see the skips flashing.the skips are feeding on tiny shad and you want your bait to be mixed in with the shad.

5. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Ray ,vary your speed, jig it, twitch it, Try to keep it in a current seam. Some days they just wont commit. I have better luck with the glowhead sabiki's. Also, at the dams, they will come and go in surges, sometimes it will be hot and heavy then slow down to nill. Early mornin has always been best for me. Hope this helps some. Mac

6. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    mac has hit the nail on the head!! vary your speed try fast,slow roll, fast jerking action,let it sink with some weight then try all these!! i notice i have to fan cast and when i see them roll at it it i get it back in the same spot and let it sink then kinda fish it like a zara spook with the jerk and reel action! they are just like other fish different tactics for different conditions. i use two 1/16 ounce lead heads with different size white twisters- if i feel them and not hooking i downsize my twister tail so theres not as much tail out there!! i have seen several of these sabiki rigs and fished right beside them and they catch fish but everytime i have outfished them with just two white twister tails !! i dont really know if i should be bragging about being really good at catching skips??:confused2: hey everybody im a professional skipjack fisherman -start watching for me on the weekends on the outdoor channel LOL:roll_eyes::cool2:

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    when top and i fished nuke 1 for skips last winter we were using shad colored curly tail crappie jigs. the skips just weren't hitting the sabikis very well but were hitting the crappie jigs like crazy.we were using a fast stop and go retrieve. we were also using 2 jigs fished in line about a foot apart.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  8. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I probally shouldn't even reply, because we don't even have skipjacks here in SC. We do use Sabaki rigs for White perch, Bream, and Blue Back Herring. I put a piece of red worm about 1/4 inch long on each hook. It might work for you, I don't know.

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I've also heard of fella's using small minnows and a bobber!! Your right Billy, Thats what Top and I used there also, those are Monster skips though 1-3 lbrs . Cant seem to catch many of those anywhere else except maybe pickwick.

10. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    oh, i see, nuke 1 is the only place that i've fished for skips. but we caught alot of small ones too. sure hope that they are still at wdm when we all go to pendleton. those things are a blast to catch. is there a BOS i wonder? (brotherhood of skipfishermen) :roll_eyes:

11. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks guys for the feedback and I will aply all of the above and hopefully things will get better or should I say I will get better.I just started using these rigs and always leave with a few but as we all no there not going to be around long with no rain dams will be shuting down bait will be O ,need as much as I can get in the freeze. :smile2:
    THANKS again to all!!:big_smile:
    Raysplay

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    There is 1 more factor...:eek:oooh: the rod & reel:tounge_out: i use an open face spinning reel with 6lb test:smile2: the mini-ugly stick combo..It has a faster retrieve which moves my jigs faster than a 33:tounge_out: i aint saying a 33 wont work cause regan & Johnny use them..but when the water is really clear & there being finicky i will put some hurt on the 33:cool2:

13. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Amen to that he caught 54 one day I might have had one strike