Sabiki rigs for bait fish in the surf

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by katfish hunter, Jul 9, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I see bluefish and other silvery fish always charging these minnows I see in the surf when I'm fishin, and I wanted to know if a size 6 marathon sabiki rig would work well for catching them?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Might work pretty good, but I tell you something better, a "Stingsilver" which is a silver plug type of lure, they are made for casting a mile, they come in different sizes. Also a "Squid Spoon" carolina rigged with a 30 inch leader and 3 ounce weight can work decent. Stingsilver is usually the best though, esspecially for Bluefish and stuff like that.

3. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Those minnows might be finger mullet, for those, I use a cast net, even in the surf. I have better luck catching them in the bays though. Good bait for just about everything, I have caught blues, flounder, seatrout, red drum, all on finger mullets.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the rigs work gret for catching bait I don't think you want to hook a blue on one do to all the teeth you might not have much rig left. use the rig to catch your bait use the bait to catch your fish.

5. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I meant to catch the minnows! sorry!!!