Sabiki Rig

Discussion in 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University' started by Mac-b, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    The Sabiki Rig will catch bait for you in a most productive way. If you are on white perch or blue back herrings you can catch from one to six baits at a time.

This rig consist of a six foot piece of fishing line that has a swivel at one end (this attaches to your fishing line), a clasp at the end (this is where you attach your tear drop sinker or slinky weigh) and in between the swivel and the clasp are six gold hooks (number 6) with two beads and some plastic wings above the gold hook. A 3/4 to 1 oz. weigh is of suffient size. An ultra lite rod and reel with 8 to 10 test line is ideal for this type of fishing.

There are several ways to use the Sabiki Rig (brand name), such as jigging it slightly over the marked bait fish, slow trolling over the bait fish or setting it out while you are drifting for cats and this way when you cross over a school of bait fish you all of a sudden have some live bait. You need for the weigh to be touching/bouncing the bottom most of the time. Also, you can add a small piece of worm or real small piece of cut bait for the perch. Don't add bait for the blue backs.

When you feel the first strike, do not bring that fish in, let it jerk and this will attract other fish to the rig. When the end of the rod bends down with the fish, then bring then in. Not only can you catch perch and other bait fish with this rig, you can catch small bass, stripers, bream, crappie, catfish and carp. When you bring the load into the boat, keep your rod tip up so you keep the line tight, if you don't, the rig will tangle itself. Start from the bottom when you are taking the bait fish off the rig. If you are going to eat the perch, put them on ice in your cooler and if you are going to use them for bait, put them in your bait tank and or live well. Be careful using this rig, you can hook yourself and your clothes. I do it all the time, no way around it, at least not for me.

You can buy yourself a rig and use it as a pattern to make you some up for yourself and use worms or small pieces of cut bait on them. This is just as productive as the Sabiki Rig. When the bite is on, one rig is all one person can handle at a time. The carp depicted below was caught on a Sabiki Rig and it weighed in at 14+ pounds.

2. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I first used a Sabiki rig 2 weeks ago. One trick I learned was to put the rig in the water with a slightly heavier weight (3 oz) and once the weight is on the bottom, start doing a figure 8 just like you would when fishing for pike. Then, like you said, just let them start piling on! Big fun using this rig!

3. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Sabiki rigs are great. Some other things that help: Removing bait can be a pain due to the small hooks. A bait remover is made that can be bought at any saltwater fishing store for about 10 bucks. When you get the hang of this thing it is well worth it. The guy catching the bait will swing the bait into the boat and his partner will grab the weight. The guy with the rod will keep tension on the line. While holding the weight his partner will hook the dropper line with the hook on it, go down the line to the hook, and shake. the bait falls right off, and he continues to the next bait. When he is finished he tosses the weight over the side of the boat and picks up the bait while the other guy is dropping down for more. If you have a third, he will position the boat. Once you get the hang of this, you can free six baits and be back in the water for more in about 20 seconds. I don't quite agree with the ultra light rod, I like a medium to medium light graphite with the drag set properly always, you aren't just catching bait, when that first one hits and starts to shake there is no way to know what might eat him. I've seen small tuna caught on a #8 hook and 7# dropper line. I also like my sabiki rod, a bit expensive just to catch bait (70 bucks), but it makes things so much easier. A sabiki rod has no eyes so the rig just reels up into the rod to the weight. When you pass over a bait pod, rab the rod, open the bail and drop, no untangling to worry with. When you are done for the day, if your rig is good, it is there, ready for you next time. They do take away from the sensitivity though.