Sabiki Rig

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by Mac-b, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    The Sabiki Rig will catch bait for you in a most productive way. If you are on white perch or blue back herrings you can catch from one to six baits at a time.

This rig consist of a six foot piece of fishing line that has a swivel at one end (this attaches to your fishing line), a clasp at the end (this is where you attach your tear drop sinker or slinky weigh) and in between the swivel and the clasp are six gold hooks (number 6) with two beads and some plastic wings above the gold hook. A 3/4 to 1 oz. weigh is of suffient size. An ultra lite rod and reel with 8 to 10 test line is ideal for this type of fishing.

There are several ways to use the Sabiki Rig (brand name), such as jigging it slightly over the marked bait fish, slow trolling over the bait fish or setting it out while you are drifting for cats and this way when you cross over a school of bait fish you all of a sudden have some live bait. You need for the weigh to be touching/bouncing the bottom most of the time. Also, you can add a small piece of worm or real small piece of cut bait for the perch. Don't add bait for the blue backs.

When you feel the first strike, do not bring that fish in, let it jerk and this will attract other fish to the rig. When the end of the rod bends down with the fish, then bring then in. Not only can you catch perch and other bait fish with this rig, you can catch small bass, stripers, bream, crappie, catfish and carp. When you bring the load into the boat, keep your rod tip up so you keep the line tight, if you don't, the rig will tangle itself. Start from the bottom when you are taking the bait fish off the rig. If you are going to eat the perch, put them on ice in your cooler and if you are going to use them for bait, put them in your bait tank and or live well. Be careful using this rig, you can hook yourself and your clothes. I do it all the time, no way around it, at least not for me.

You can buy yourself a rig and use it as a pattern to make you some up for yourself and use worms or small pieces of cut bait on them. This is just as productive as the Sabiki Rig. When the bite is on, one rig is all one person can handle at a time. The carp depicted below was caught on a Sabiki Rig and it weighed in at 14+ pounds.

jimmymac likes this.
  2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    They also can be dynamite to catch Skipjack Herring one many rivers and lakes. They are especially good at tailwaters where skipjack like to gather because of the high oxygen content. We cast them out and reel them in. They usually like them extremely fast.

3. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used these a lot in salt water. Never thought to try in fresh.

Now if someone will post on how to not get these things tangled or get myself hooked that would be a miracle.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Thank you for that explanation & pics Mac, iv'e never heard of one & definately never seen anybody else use one!!!

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    True story;

Last summer, we were about 5 miles off shore Holden Beach NC, using a sabiki rig to catch bait, and doing quite well with it.

Even some Spanish Mackeral were hitting it. That's fun on light tackle.

Well, this last time, I got a real hard hit. Bent double pole, pulling drag, had no idea what hit that tiny hook.

It turned out to be a 5' shark. I think the only reason I got it to the boat was so the shark could have a good laugh. Not even sure it was hooked in the mouth, maybe snagged under the jaw. we were jigging it.

Needless to say, it did finally break the line.

6. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    iv used these down at the beach to catch some bait fish and they worked great but never thought about it inland needless to say i got some the other day and cant wait to try them out im sure they work just as good here as they do down at the beach i hope becasue its a pretty fun fight reeling in 5 or 6 bait fish at one time on a ultralight :big_smile:

7. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac I use vertical rod holders to store my rods in the boat and those sabikis have a nasty habit of grabbing any thing that comes in contact with them. Ever use a protective cover made out of something such as a section of PVC long enough to contain the rig. You can fasten it along side of the rod with rubber bands or velcro wire ties. At least it helps when moving around the boat when not used.
    Thanks again for all the usefull info.

8. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac those sabikis do have a nasty habit of grabbing anything they contact and particularly when walking by them standing in my vertical rod holders when not used. They can be slid down a section of PVC close to the length of the rod, then secure the tube along side the rod with rubber bands or velcro wire ties. At least that solves the problem when not in use, otherwise look out!
    Thanks again for all the useful info.

9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Nice post, Mac!!!! From experience I know that a sabiki can put a lot of bait in the boat in just a few minutes. Also, using a sabiki when you're fishing with kids is a great way to show them a good time & keep them from getting bored. :big_smile:

10. jimmymac

jimmymac New Member

State:
    PA
    ttt

Old thread but a good thread.