sabiki rig?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by flathead_hunter, Jan 27, 2008.

1. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    just wandered if anyone knows a good place that shows how to make one

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    they usually only cost about 2bucks.. i dont think you can buy 6 flies for that .... you may be better off buying 1

3. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

Live2Fish.Fish2Live New Member

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    I have made a few myself but I can get em for about $1.19 at a local marine & tackle shop. You might try Catfish Connections online catalogue because I think they are $1.30 in there. For that kind of money.......it aint worth my time & trouble. Making them is time wasted that I could be fishing for skippies! I hope this helps!

4. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    don't waist your time making them

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you have any crappie jigs around , you can make one or two and try them out. I take a piece of 20# line about 3' long and tie a 1/4 oz. jig on the bottom. I then take and tie an 1/8 oz. one foot up from that and do the same thing one more time. you now have 3 jigs on the line using dropper knots of about 2" each. Tie on a barrel swivel and you are now ready to catch skipjacks. It is much simpler to just buy a sabiki rig !!!!!:wink:

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I make some using Sickle hooks. If I could buy them with sickle hooks I would not tie them up.
    But I have not seen any. So I will keep on tying my own.
    Are you trying to find out how to tie the hooks on or tie hair on the hooks?
    Pete
    Here is standard hooks and I can tie them cheaper then I can buy them. Also enjoy doing it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/jig tying/jigs016.jpg
    Then here is the sickle hooks.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/jig tying/flys004.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/jig tying/flys005.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/jig tying/flys006.jpg

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    thanks guys!! i have been looking at them in catfish conection but i dont want to pay $6 on something that cost a buck i did look at the local bass pro but the guy there said they didnt sell them he didnt even know what i was talking about i might try the bait shop here in town he may have one but who knows knowing him it might be 60 years old but thanks for the help guys

8. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    You might want to try bass pro again I found some of the guys don't always know what they have in the store.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Bass pro does sell them, they are in with the lures for ocean fishing. Majority of sabaki rigs are used in the ocean or bay areas.

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I think it is easier to buy them at around $2 a package rather than spending a lot of time making them.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I may try and make a short Video of how I tie them. And it only takes 3 or 4 minutes to tie up a half a dozen.
    Also its nice to tie up the color you have the best luck with. Also Like I posted, I am tying them up on Sickle hooks. I have not seen any like that for sale yet.
    Also I need to get with Eric and put a dozen up for a giveaway on the board. You could tie them on your own line and space them like you would like them to be.
    Pete

12. bamawhiskers

bamawhiskers New Member

State:
    alabama
    o yea buying them is much better. i stock up when i go to the beach in the summer. some of the mom and pop tackle stores along the coast have them cheeper than bass pro

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I cant even see them much less make them ,for about $1.25 ea. it s not worth the time !!!

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I guess it's kind of like pouring your own jigs. By the time you pay for your hooks, lead, and fuel to melt the lead, there's no way it makes economic sense to make your own. But when you throw in the satisfaction of catching fish on a lure you made yourself, that makes the difference for some people. To each his/her own.

15. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't want to make them. I just want someone to show me how not to tangle them especially with me inside the tangle. The store bought ones I've used have never lasted more than one day because of me. Of course I can't pull a bow up a tree with a line without tangling it on something.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's one of the things I've got against them. Not only do they seem to tangle while stored, but I can't walk past one on a rod leaning against the wall or in a boat without getting hung on the thing. But that's normal for me. Anyway, I have much less trouble using crappie hooks tied in tandem. I can put a huge assortment of different weight jigs and different style/color curlytails or tubes. In tests conducted by Badkarma and I, there seemed to be no difference whatsoever in the number of fish cought, whether using crappie jigs or a sabiki rig.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    hey pete would you consider tradeing som of them for some lead.