Sabiki rig?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cheapNdisgusting, Oct 4, 2007.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Until I joined the BOC, I never heard of a "sabiki". :confused2: I did see a small display of them in Bass Pro (while shopping for trotline hooks) but packaged up there is no way of seeing what they really are like.

Next question is how they are used. I did pick up from a post or two that they can't be more than 3 hooks to comply to MO regs.

I'm always anxious to try new things and have a ton of them to try, however this one seems to be for "bait" which would be a bonus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:big_smile:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Its similar to 5 flies tied about a foot apart and a swivel on top and bottom. Put a small weight on the bottom part. Also where I fish,3 hooks are the max on it. I just cut the bottom 2 off and put on a split shot on bottom. Just throw it out where you see them or I do good walking it back and forth along the Dam wall where I get mine at. Just reel it in kind of fast and move it erratically back and forth. Also just about anything shiny will catch them when they are running thick. I've caught 2 at once several times but not landed any triples yet. When the water is churning fast and hard is the best times i've got them. Also early morning and early evening are good here.
    I hope this helps some.:wink::big_smile:
    There will be more to chime in that know way more than me so stay tuned. :big_smile:

3. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I also saw they come in different sizes. (further confusion)

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Just mainly personal preference. Not sure if mine are #6 or #8 hooks. They work good though. :big_smile:

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Russell, everything they said and more. Sabiki's are a bait catching machine! and heres a tip. Put a tiny piece of worm on every hook. It will encourage more fish to bite. You'll catch bait faster, and size 8 is a good start.:wink:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've got a couple I bought and used on the Mississippi. They're actually pretty fun, first time I'd ever caught anything on a lure other than sticks and moss. I'm planning on taking them out Saturday during they day and throwing them around the mouths of feeder creeks and behind the dykes on the MO. Might catch a mooneye or two and it would be pretty funny to see what kind of havoc a big Asian would wreak on my little bitty ultralight bait rig if I snag one.

Good Luck!

Branden

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thats why most of us cut the extra sabiki jigs off and leave only three of those buggers on the line. So you can use a sabiki, just a smaller or shorter version.:0a26:

sabiki, n.

Sabiki is a Japanese word meaning “bait-catching rig” or “to catch bait fish"—at least that’s what the companies that a few years ago began importing the contraptions from across the Pacific say.

9. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    :big_smile: Presently I spend 1/2 the day catching bait.

I'm starting to get excited - and at my age --- this is a good thing. (the excited part)

10. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I never go fishing without a Sabiki rig on the boat. Its almost as important as my cast net! If the cats aren't biting, you can spend time catching bait.

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I STILL don't get the 3 hooks thing. I can run 33 total on the MO river, so what do they care HOW I run them:confused2: I realize this is off topic and just me being contrary, but I just don't get it.

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm with you Branden, on the Mississippi you can have up to 50 on a trot line, and you can have more than 3 poles out, as long as you have the others properly labeled, but no more than three hooks on a single line? That doesn't make much sense to me either.:waaaht:

13. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Branden... There was some loop hole that was figured so we could still use it.. I think it did have to do with the 33 hook rule and also if it is an illegal rig, why do they sell it in the State boundries..

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

There are a lot of items that are for sale that are "illegal", for instance, a person cannot display a light on their vehicle unless it's white or amber colored, but places like AutoZone and AdvancedAuto sell all kinds of neon light kits, lights for under the car, lights for the valve stems, lights for the windshield washer "squirters", all kinds of accessories that are considered illegal! yet still sold in every auto parts store and even wally world.

15. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    My dad and I went out last friday. We tried a sabiki rig for the first time. Forgot all about catfishing. We had a ball catching big skips and mooneyes. We used a number 10, chartruse was the color.

16. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Branden, Maybe Someone or all of MO. BOC members should e-mail or call your Dept. of Natural Resources, Sabiki Rigs are a bait catching tool like cast nets. It might fall under a law like that, or be places in a law like that. They could still have there rules about no cast nets or more than 3 hooks for game fish. Anyway it would be wild to see what kind of waves of change the MO. BOC could make.:wink:

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Where on earth did you go around here to catch big Skipjacks? I've been fishing this stretch of river for 10 years and have never found a concentration of them big enough to even try for them, with the exception of the dam at Alton. Where did you find them at?

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh Ooh! That got ole Cuz's attention!!:wink:

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    In deed it did. :smile2: I'll take fresh skipjacks any day over all other baits. I like them so much, I'm going to start planning two trips a year to either Paducah, or down to Pickwick in Alabama to catch a few hundred pounds. Last year at Pickwick, we slayed the skips. The biggest I had ever seen. They average a pound or better and you got them EVERY cast. It was phenomenal. They freeze extremely well too. Matter of fact, I might head south in the next couple of weeks if there is a hot skip bite somewhere. I'm all out. :crazy:

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I know the feeling I cant count on one hand how many fish I have caught on a lure.....:wink:
    I don't know how those Ba** guys do it......lol.......