Sabiki Rig Questions

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by bcheney, Dec 31, 2008.

1. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    How exactly do you use a Sabiki to catch bait? I like to fish the Corps of Engineer spillways and I usually see the shad schooling near the top of the water. Is it as simple as casting over the school and retrieving it through at a medium pace? Any suggestions on a proper sinker size?

2. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    First of all, welcome to the BOC Bruce. You will find a lot of good people and advice on this site.

As to your question, it's been my experience that sabikis aren't much help with shad (unless you snag one). Shad tend to eat plankton and other "stuff" you can't get onto a hook.:wink:

I use sabikis exclusively for skipjack. I use a 1/4 ounce weight, let it hit the water, pause for a couple seconds, and bring it in. The retrieval time can vary depending upon how the fish are hitting.

Hope this helps.

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bruce welcome to the BOC , Scott knows what he is talking about, most people catch shad in a throw net. Unless you know somewhere close to you that you know for sure has skipjacks , I would not waste any time or money on thease rigs. You can make your own . I read somewhere on this site, about a person down south somewhere that gets his shad with a very small hook and one green pea as bait. Oh well good luck

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As already stated, you need a cast net to catch shad. While a sabiki rig is great for catching skipjack, a couple of crappie jigs tied in tandem will almost always work just as well. Personally, I find the crappie jigs much easier and cheaper to use.

5. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I'm not even sure I could tell the difference between a skip jack and a shad if it bit me on the nose! I do know that shad are in the lakes so I'm assuming it is the same below the dam. Thanks for the input.

6. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    first welcome to the boc , where in miss do you live ?, and cast net is best for shad and there are skips in miss you just have to try the jigs and see white and green curly tails ,or just white will work you just have to check on the board here . i use bojole spoons so i dont know abouy jigs.

7. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I live in Olive branch, MS. Will I have any luck using a cast net in a spillway with all that current?

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You can use a cast net, you will have to be quick with it. You can use a fast and jerking retrieval with a sabiki rig and snag shad. Check your rules to see if you can use treble hooks.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Bruce.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Forgot to say, welcome to the BOC, Bruce! Skipjack and shad both love swift water. Try to find an eddy right next to the swift water to throw your net for shad. Here's a link to what Fishbase has to say about skipjack herring (Alosa Chrysochloris); also has a picture:

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=1578

11. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    ive used them for blueback herring in lake jocassee(near my house) castnets arnt allowed. they worked but its not very efficient. we would snag them under lights at night, using a 2oz sinker and rip it up threw the school. sometimes they will hit it but mostly there snagged

12. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the Breat BOC Bruce.

13. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Thanks for everyone's help.