Sabiki Rig? - In Town Indy...

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by ThaWstSide, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I been reading on the Sabiki Rigs, and their use. Would these even be worth a try in the river in town to catch bait?. I was seeing some rigs that had 6 - 8 hooks on them, do you normally catch more than 1 bait fish at a time on this rig, or is it mainly more hooks for more chances at just landing A(1) bait fish?.

I have no real problem normally catching bait, but just thought if it was to make it so I would catch more than 1 at a time(being lazy) I might be willing to try it.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Flattiestalker

Flattiestalker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those rigs are used for skip jack fishing. Yea you'll catch a skipjack on each hook when they're biting good. There are no skippies in white river (wish there was)

3. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Jim - You can use as many hooks as you wish. May use one or more, your preferance. Sabiki rigs are commonly used to catch skipjack here in Arkansas. They are useful on any body of water that you might want to catch bait on.

I myself will use at least two hooks on my rig. When I do, I use different color of jigs on each one until I find out what the fish are hitting on. Once I find that pattern, then I will switch both hooks to that one color.

Hope this helps.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sabikis are great for catching skippies! I have even caught a nice carp on mine. I had always heard that skippies stay in current but here lately I've been seeing them and catching them in normal spots I fish at with little current. Not sure about Indy but in KY we don't have a limit on the hooks. If I go across the river to Ohio you can only have 3 hooks on it.

5. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    yea, I didnt figure we had Skipjacks here... I was just curious if they was used for others, I might try to use them for bait fishing in the White. I know I can rake in quite a few bait fish in a matter of a few minutes with the beemoth.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jim,
    You can catch bluegills etc. with sabiki rigs if they are in the mood to chase a jig. I cut my 8 hook sabikis in half and get two 4 hook rigs from each one. I have never caught 8 skips at once but regularly get 4 at a time.
    I would stick with the beemoths though for sunfish and perch etc.
    ...W

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sabiki's are good for bait, but I prefer to fish with a series of lead head jigs.

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    down at markland when the skips are in good its not uncommon to get every hook with a skip on it.

9. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Dang Steve, do they attack the rig like a Pirahna or something?:tounge_out:

10. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    sabikis rigs are not legal in indiana. read your regulations . the books are free everywhere .

11. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    This is true:
    Hand or Pole Fishing and Hooks
    You may fish with no more than three poles or hand lines at any
    one time. Each line may have no more than two single or multibarbed
    hooks, two artificial baits or two harnesses for live bait.
    Single or multi-barbed hooks may be used for hand or pole
    lines, float or jug fishing, limb, drop or trot lines. Special
    hook size and barb regulations apply to Lake Michigan and its
    tributaries. Refer to page 48 for hook information for these waters.

This is from the DNR regulations.

12. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    There is a law on # of hooks & so is 3 poles, but the combo's of up to ? hooks! I DON'T KNOW!