sabiki rig how to ?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by BIG_D, Nov 17, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    my ? is what is the best way to use a sabiki rig just throw it out and reel it in or what i have made some but i want to make sher i know how to use them the right way thanks

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dallas,

I would wait and try out the latest approach to catching Skip Jack. They should be bringing it out on the market in the next few weeks, and will fit the bill for most of us trying to load up on some jacks..

Plus my favorite is they are cheap, and will far outlast most Skip Jack rigs.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sabiki(s) are designed to be fished vertically in the water column, but some will add a weight, cast them out, and bring it in.

A cross over from the Salt Water world..

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Paul when it comes out if you dont forget give me a heads up please i take it this is one of those things thats hush hush

5. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I pretty much cast out and just pull reel down pull reel down in that manner.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I buy the pre made 6 hook sabiki rigs which have instructions. All you need to do is add a small weight and cast. I usually vary the retrieve speed to see which works. The bottom line is that if the skipjacks are there, you will catch them, if not, it doesn't matter which retrieve speed you use.

7. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I use them vertically, drifting and vertically fishing them is good if you have a large concentration of fish.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i add between 1/2 oz and 1 oz of weight to it and cast it out as far as i can then change up the reel speeds until i find what they want. you cant reel faster than a skip jack can swim. just keep that in mind..

9. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    We normally do more scouting of the herring first than really trying to perfect out throw! LOL When we find that special spot with current and shad and skips we throw out with weight of course and kind of reel pretty fast into the shore line. making it look like a school of fish. It really gets exciting when ya get two or three at once!

10. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Out of a boat we use 1/2 ounce weight.We use the depthfinder to find them.Then just let out slack until it hits or is close to bottom and start lifting and lowering the rod tip and reeling in slack until you start catching.Simple catching just hard finding them for us.Good luck

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Just get jiggy with it!

Sometime reeling in slowly like a lure works too.:cool2:

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Just get jiggy with it!
    lol :smile2::smile2::smile2: i will try that lol

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like that comment. Just mix up the retrieve till ya find how they want it at the time. They can be much harder to find than catch.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    This time of year finding a warm water discharge at a power plant or plant of some kind, would be a great place to start looking for them.

15. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are they still hitting below Barkley Dam? We're headed down there next Tuesday morning and are staying for a couple of days. Got the vacuum sealer and rods and everything ready to go.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Dallas keep in mind that they work great for perch, gills, bream etc. We don't have skips here but I use Sabiki rig for other bait. Best way I know is to use a 3/4 oz weight at the bottom , tip all the hooks with a crawler, and vertical jig.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Barkley is about 6 1/2 hrs west of me . But they usually catch some below the dam there even in the winter I think. Good luck and hope ya catch a boat load of them.

18. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Talked to a couple of friends that just got back from there. They came back with their supply for next year. We're headed that way Tuesday to try our luck. I bought some here locally about a month ago and for two 10" fish it was $7.50 a package. At that price, I can afford to drive to Barkley Dam and back and still come out money ahead.

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Wow!!!! :crazy:At them prices you could almost afford to move if ya fish and use a lot of bait. Just kidding man. But that seems awful high to me. At them prices I have caught enough in a day to nearly pay for a nice boat.

20. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I looked at prices on the net. They were even higher than that at $9.00 a pair. That's some expensive bait! I think that was without the shipping costs. It's hard telling what it would be after that.