Sabiki rig? - can you catch shad on a sabiki rig?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Catfishnewbie08, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but can you catch shad on a sabiki rig? I think shad just eat plankton, algae, stuff like that, but I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't work.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I catch Blue back Herring, Hickory and some American shad on the rigs, but I don't think I've ever caught a gizzard shad on them.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This rig works wonders with skipjack. Use the cast net for the shad.

4. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ditto

5. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    Great question I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the answers

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use one with all but the bottom 2 hooks cut off to catch mooneye. We can only use a rig with max of 2 hooks in Kansas. I usually just drop it strait down the side of the boat while I am fishing for cats. Have never caught gizzard shad with it but did catch a #1 blue once on it.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I would like to try the rigs on the 3-8 lb.American Shad that run up the SC & Ga.rivers every spring.Could you tell me the size hooks,colors and color of the water that you caught them in with the rigs.Were they good bait or just occasional bite getters?

I have the Ogeechee River close which is colored like the Edisto and Pee Dee.Also the Savannah River which is colored like the upper end of Lake Marion "normally" is where the river enters the lake.When the river was high,it use to look like you could walk on or plow the clay!

American Shad are getting scarce on Georgia Rivers.

8. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Good question, i have one in my tackle box from Hawaii, I was thinking of trying for small bluegill or possibly shad. I believe they are illegal in Arizona because it exceeds the two hook limit so i haven't tried it .

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I catch skipjacks on the sabaki rigs......and "foul hook" shad all the time. Just reel through the shad and give a little jerk when you feel them. It works!:big_smile:

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Good Question There's no such thing as a bad or dumb Question:big_smile: