Sabetha Pony Creek review

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by rush_60, Apr 13, 2009.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I went to pony creek today to give it a try. I was wanting to catch some eaters for the table. The weather sucked but when I have time to go I have to go. Anyways I didn't catch anything. Air temp was around 42 and I would put water temp around the upper 30's. It felt alot colder than the air.

As far as pony creek goes, their is very little area that you can drive to and get out and fish. Only part of the west side has a road by it. The banks were real gradual and after a good rain I think the water would probably be 10 ft up on the bank. Their are very few trees. The dam is over 100 yards from the road. The main boat ramp was decent, the one in the camping section was terrible. They have a handicap parking area and sidewalk that goes right to the lake. It looked like a good fishing area if your confined to a wheel chair. There are several houses on the lake, and I dont think you could walk through their yard. So the camping area was on one side of the houses and the boat ramp was on the other side. You have to get on the highway to get from one section to the other.
    The camping was primitive. Their are only 3 camping spots. Two have trees and one is out in the open. Their was a sign when going into the camping area that said "camper permit required" I dont know if this means that everyone camping needs a permit or only if you have a camper you need a permit. It also didn't say where to get them. I would guess that you would get them at sabetha city hall.
    I wouldn't go fishing their during strong north or south wind because their are very few spots to get out of the wind. I think to really fish this lake you need a boat. The bank on the other side was steep and their was some timber in the water on the other side. Alot of good structure and good looking spots just not real good access. I will fish their again once the water warms up but I'm going back with my kayak.

I'm sorry this is so long but I thought if someone was thinking about going their, and didn't know anything about it, this might help them out. Has anyone else fished their?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have never even heard of it, but thanks for the review.:smile2:
    Well written.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Casey,my brother lives in Horton now swing by his house I know he has some eater's in his frig he will give you.

Tell him I sent you:smile2:

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have fished it a lot, from the bank and from the boat. Never caught a monster but it does have some nice cats in it. I normally fish the south end of the lake over at the flooded timber area. I have done some drift fishing and it seemed to work but for the most part the old wood is the key to the lake or it has been in the past. The city lake is nice too.

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Thanks for the report, Casey! I have never fished there, but it is nice to
    know about this anyway. Now I know to bring a boat, eh?

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I know he does. Me and him were talking about fishing yesterday and he got me fired up enough that I had to go out today. I tryed to get him and my aunt to join the BOC. We'll see.
    I'm trying to find a good lake that is close to me and him that we can meet up and catch some fish in. Brown SFL is the closest but I've never had much luck.

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Here is a pic of it

Attached Files:

8. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    there are some good one in brown co. Try chubs or live green sunfish.

9. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I've never had much luck their. I dont know if I need to be by the feeders when they are going off or what. I dont even know if the feeders work. I camped next to one and it never turned on. I know brown has some bigger channels but pony creek has higher numbers, according to kdwp fishing forcast.

10. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Casey a buddy of mine fishes up by Sabetha somewhere he is always bragging about the great fishing I will ask him if he as had any luck lately. Have you ever tried the Atchison County Lake, Im not recommeding only because I havent ever fished it. I was wondering if you had.

11. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Went there and fished it this morning with that friend of mine from Nebraska and caught some nice ones. We fished from his boat so we were able to get to the timber that Casey was talking about. The average size was around three to four with one about six and a twelve pounder that I caught. It was cold and windy but we got in the fingers and out of the wind so it was fairly nice. Just a note though if you bring your boat its a no wake lake, I didnt see the sign and my friend hadnt seen it either so a guy gave me a talking to when I was going to get the truck. I understood his point that is the drinking water for the city and stirring it up isnt good. But it was a fun day either way, I will see if the daughter knows how to post pics off my phone when she gets home.

12. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    glad you guys caught something. What were you using for bait? I drove all over that thing and never seen any signs about no wake?:eek:oooh: I might have to keep the kayak in low gear:wink:

13. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    We used uncooked shrimp. Although he gives me crap but I caught two on worms. lol Trust me there is a sign so I wouldnt paddle to fast or you might get a talking to.

14. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Tried Brown SFL today from a boat. Tried drifting. Used shrimp and blood bait. No luck:sad2: I'm on a heck of a streak:confused2::angry::sad2:

15. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Drifting nightcrawlers might have been the ticket. What depth were you
    keeping? Main lake always seemed to have inactive flatties in the deeps
    but that was before they redid everything back a few years ago. Imagine
    its a whole new game there with different structure and migration
    patterns...One of the lakes I grew up fishing on, Casey! Always seemed
    to pick up on active cats just outside where the crappie were nesting.
    Drift just off the snags that KDWP planted to find the wiseguys looking
    for wounded bandit bluegills limping away from Daddy Crappie's crime
    of passion. 'Course the intake waters, but you know that already.

16. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I cant afford crawlers and I seem to be at work everytime it rains. Most of the lake is at 12 ft. The game warden was their and he said some people caught some cats around the feeders the night before. The problem was that some people were already set up around the feeders, so we drifted the rest of the lake. The water was pretty cloudy already. Alot of weeds already in all the shallow coves.

Their was 7-8 boats on the lake. Kind of crowded when its only 60 acres. I think they were all crappie fishing but nobody was catching anything. My cousin did get a 15in bass along the dam.

17. red river whopper

red river whopper New Member

State:
    Sabetha, kansas
    This is the limit i caught at pony creek. THe fish are even happy there. take a look. LOL

Attached Files:

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nice catch Kerry...Some mighty fine eatin right there.

I bet they quit smiling when they heard the knife fire up..:eek:oooh:

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Looks good Kerry. Congrats !!! :big_smile:

20. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thats a nice mess of channels! Whens dinner? :cool2: