s branch potomac river

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by moose22dog, May 8, 2009.

1. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    was just woundering if anyone fishes for cats on the south branch of the potomac near romney. to be more specific in the "trough", every year there's a group of us that does a float trip down here. and never really tried for cats just smallies and red eyes. is there flats or channels? i know we have seen some big,big carp in there. but this year i would like to try for cats at night, was think of use gills(there every where in there) and what ever i could catch for cut bait. we will be there friday the 15th till sunday the 17th of may, so if your going to be down there pm me for more info.maybe we could meet up for a beer and bs i will thank everyone now..tight lines..justin

2. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Maybe I can help you. I fish the South Branch between Romney and springfield and there are some really nice Channel Cat. The biggest I`ve caught went around 10#. There are alot of bullhead so I use cutbait ( fillet) and the bigger cats seem to prefer it. I`ve never been through the trough but I have a friend that owns a camp right before the storethere. He catches alot of cats there too. If you`re coming down the river the deeper side seems to be on your left. That`s the side to fish. Good Luck and I hope this helps. Let me know how it went.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Never fished down there. Sounds like a fun trip. have fun.

4. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    thanks allen your right about the left side, there are some really deep holes in there for being a small river. do you know if there are any flats in there i figured there was channel and bullhead. two years ago i caught a 5-7 lb channel at night. ya pip..it's a great time great smallies fishing and you will see the most bald eagels in your life. i love it down there i look foward every year for this trip. tight lines everyone ...justin

5. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.

I`ve not seen any flatheads come out of there. I mentioned using Bluegill fillets but forgot to say to leave the skin on. Them cats really like it better that way. Spent many hours night fishing and that bait out performed anything else includeing shrimp, worms, liver, and whole bluegill on that river. Good Luck and be sure to let me ( us ) know how you did.