S-10 Blazer/Truck/Jimmy/Bravada/Sanoma CHEVY

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by mavmannate, Sep 3, 2009.

1. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Anyone else have 4x4 blazer/jimmy/truck/bravada/sanoma?
    Does it work well for you?

and what year ya got... mods?... Mud tires?... stereo

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    1997 S-10 4 door blazer 4x4 , 4.3 Vortec. Loaded.
    237,000 miles and runs like a sewing machine.

I would buy another one without hesitation. Too many of them still on the road from the 80's and 90's not to have been a good vehicle.

I've started halfway looking around for a Trailblazer. Seen some great deals but they aren't local deals.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have had several and still have a couple.

1982 S-10 Truck (still have) For mods to much to list
    1984 Jimmy 2wd (still have) Same ffor this one
    1989 S-10 2dr 2wd It was lowered painted flat black rally wheels and huge stereo
    1994 S-10 4dr 4wd Left stock for the most part other than stereo and larger tires and lift
    1998 Bravada (still have) stock for the most part after market stereo, and engine mods

and I have a 1990 S-10 Truck this is soon to be donating the frame to the 1982 for a complete rebuild (I'm looking at doing a LowRod Design to it)

In all they are great vehicles, never had to much of a problem with them the Bravada has had the most issues but they were small things but with it being set up on the higher end of the GM line the parts were more $$$. I have a neighor that has a Trailblazer and a friend that has a Colorado and I would not have one if you gave it to me. Both of them have been in the shop more than all my vehicles and I can not stand the sound of the inline 5 on them.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Mine's not a 4x4, but i got a '98 reg cab long bed, with 4.3L.

Everything is pretty much stock except i went one size up with the tires (215/75/15 from 205/75/15).

For the abuse its seen its been a pretty good truck. I've had a lot of weight in the bed, pulled pretty heavy trailers, drag raced, mud, power braking....etc, etc, etc. What can i say, i got it my senior year in high school. :big_smile:

Worst problem has been coolant leaks. Intake was done last year, now i smell antifreeze all the time when she's hot, but cant figure out where its coming from. Stupid plastic gaskets, and dexcool antifreeze.:angry:

5. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

Once ive got the money, I will be getting a trailblazer. not the ext one though... I love the trailblazers! SS version!!

6. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    My 88 blazer is my baby. ive pulled 2 tons of topsoil in a pickup bed trailer no problem. its alot of weight for it, but ive done this alot with it. ive done ALOT of hauling with it.

My ONLY complaint about this truck is the 3 speed tranny. SUCKS. Wish it was a 4 speed.

7. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Chevy Blazer S-10 Tahoe 1988
    Painted Flat Black with clear corner lights and carbon fiber clear tail lights.
    Original Chrome Bumpers (looking to get an oldmobile bravada front bumper since it has the fog lights)
    4.3 L V6 Vortech (was dropped in 2 years ago, came from a 93 s10 truck with only 43,000 miles, runs like a champ)
    New A/T tires, 215.
    Stock 5 spoke Aluminum Rims.
    Regular Trailer package.
    Brand New A/C system. (still have to charge it LOL)

SOUND SYSTEM:
    Rockford Fosgate - The Box that Rocks Subwoofer system, powered by 2x 425 watt Jenson Amps.
    5 inch Infinity Speakers in the front powered by Rockford Fosgate 125 watts
    5x9 pioneers powered by 125 watt RF amp.

Chrome Running boards

THE WANTS (what I want to do to it when i get the money)
    Lift, at least 3 inches
    Re-Tint ALL the windows including Brow on the windshield
    Supercharge!!!
    New flowmaster mufflers (want duels)
    Install New door trim,(customized with custom speaker mounts and power windows)
    Tear out all carpet, and put in rihno line
    Driver side Spotlight
    Pro- Paint job, Want Flat black, with white pinstrips dow sides with shinny clear coat.
    Cowl Hood
    Light bar with the following:
    2 Lights for boat launching/hauling
    1 Light for each side of truck lighting ground within 20 ft.
    4 Forward lights 2, pointing down infront of truck, 2 pointing tward distance.
    4 small flashing LED's for cautions that strobe yellow for backing trailers and roadside issues.
    (all of these sets will have individual switches next to the floor shifter for 4x4.
    2 Small Foglights for under bumper.
    Diamond Plated Mud flaps

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Those 4.3 will pull some loads. I pulled a car trailer all over the Midwest with mine 1989 and to say the truck that was on the trailer (the 1982 S-10) was no where near being light let alone the trailer was a beefy dude. I did upgrade the brakes on it to handle the extra weight.

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

Attached Files:

10. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

Um..... Was that really 14 different subwoofers???? HOLY CRAP ON A STICK! :crazy:

That would be too much for me. I just want enough kick to have a good balance for rock music. :big_smile:

Whats powering all of that?

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    There are 16 12" and they are powered buy 4 RF Power seriers amps. In the ballpark of 20,000 Watts. Don't let it foul you it will get down and rock with the best with anytype of music. I have a set of Power Seriers 6.5 component in the kick panels 8" subs in the doors in the dash I have a set of 5.25 Power components and in the back I have another set of 6.5. The 12's can be turned on and off in sets of 2 and I can change the amount of power going to them the same way. I have a 200amp Alt for the motor and then a send custom built alt to par up with it. both of those I can on the dash change the voltage that they are charging at so the amps can see much higher voltage for more power. For batteries I have one yellow top optima under the hood and then 4 more that stay in at all time then I have a tray that comes out that hold 12 more yellow tops.

12. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

BADA$$!
    I want to invest into some componet speakers so i can crank the subs and bounce! But....im poor! lol

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You guys waste alot of money on useless crap.:wink::smile2:
    Opinion of course.:smile2::smile2:

14. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

Ur damn right we do! LOL
    Actually my subs only costs me 60 bucks. got em from a guy who bought em new in 1997 and he sold on craigslist!

Everything on my truck is pretty much stock accept the tires, sound system and the corner lights and tail lights. and ac compressor.:crazy:

15. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    :smile2:
    All them speakers do is get ya tickets.:wink: Been there done that.:smile2:
    Id keep everything stock, with the excpetion of tires and small mechanical upgrades, especially ones that up you MPG.
    Vehicles get you from A-B, that it. Gas is plenty expensive enough, dont spend your extra money on transportation; spend it on fishin.:big_smile::smile2:
    Or your wife?:eek:oooh::crazy::smile2:

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    A lot of my stuff came at cost or was given to me:big_smile:. That is a nice thing about working at a shop / being sponsored. The costly part for me was all the travel that went along with showing the trucks. Also you save money by learning to do the things your self. In all my years of having the stereos I never received a ticket, one its just knowing when to play it at certain volumes, and the loop holes in a lot of the laws. I do look back and see all the money that I put into travle and such and thing that I could have a Killer boat with it done up to a tee and a new truck pulling it, but then I look back and think a bout all the people I have meet, the things I have seen and the places I have been. so I just let the money thing roll off me.

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Been to the car show/ speaker competetions. Not my crowd.
    Id rather travel the country and fish all over the place. Enjoyn the country, not the concrete jungle.:wink::smile2:
    Whatever floats your boat. Money is only temporary. Like us, it dont last forever.:smile2:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It was fun when it lasted then things just got to out of hand with the price and the things you had to do to the vehicle to compete. I was at a dissadvantage becasue my truck was a show truck / Sound Off vehicle then a few years after I got real heavy into the sport they started coming out with gutting the inside and redoing it with cement and wood. I built a few of those vehicles but to me it was not as fun. I enjoyed making it as loud as I could and still beable to jump in it on a Saturday night and cruz! I still do a lot of the insane/custom install but now its for money to buy fishing stuff.:wink:

19. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    The "wife" (currently fiance) already spends all the money!!!! :angry:
    I spend a little bit on fishing... im trying to pay off debt, havent spent a dime on my truck in over 2 months, with the exception of gas and oil and a new orifice for the ac system. (only 2 bucks)

other than that, ive only put about 200 bucks into the whole car including pait and sound... tires were xmas present from the soon to be in-laws. her step dad works for GM and has every dang tool you could need. has welders, pit in the garage, tire machine, engine hoists, tow trucks, car trailer, SPEED BOAT, 1957 Chevy 2dr, has a Chevy K5 fram which is current project, putting a 1964? chevy stepside cab and bed on that fram. gonna be a bad a$$ 4x4... he also has a sweet 4x4 k5 1989, s10 truck, 2008 crew cab silverado, 1959 longbed, mulitple truck trailers from about every decade.... parts for every small block....

we might possibly make a derby car out of an s10 truck for next years derby!!!!

:crazy::angry::big_smile::smile2:

20. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr

NO COMMENT