Ryno's Noodle Jugs

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Continued from page 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Main line.
    For the main line I use #30 Green braided line 250# test, and for my leaders I use #9 white braided line 84# test. Durring the winter I guide deer hunters for our family business, so I have plenty of slack time to tie lines and sharpen hooks. When I tie my main lines I tie 2x knots side by side every 3'. The 2x knots keep the trotline clips from sliding on the line. On the trotline clips attach a #1 nickel plated swivel, a doubled over 12" piece of #9 line. On the 6" leader I put a 2/0 Nickel plated kahle hook (I've caught alot of fish on empty nickel plated hooks before, I like to call this fishing on credit). I make my main line differant depths for differant times of the year, so you will have to make yours to fit your type of fishing. At the end of my main line I attach another trotline clip to add and remove the weight easier, and I also leave about a 4" tag of line at the end. The tag leaves you a little something to snape your weight clip to when your jugs are being stored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click here for page 3

2. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Continued from page 2

[​IMG]

AS for the eye bolt on the side of the cap, this is used to adjust the depth that you are fishing. Say you have 15" lines on your jugs and you want to fish 8" of water. You snap on a weight let out the line untill the weight hits the bottom, lift the jug up out of the water about 2" and loop the line thru and around the eye bolt. The line is now set for your desired depth and ready to add hooks and bait. When your done take the line out of the eye bolt and roll it back on the PVC. Remove the hooks and weight as you roll up ythe line clip your weight clip to the tag and store the jugs away.
    In Texas we have to put our name, address and date the jugs were put out on each jug. the date is good for 30 days. I write my name and address on the ref. tape and use Water proof med. tape around the cap to put the date on, when I need to change the date, I peel off the med tape and put on a new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click here for page 4​

3. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Continued from page 3

[​IMG]
    I store 23 of these jug lines in a milk crate and all the hooks and weights in an old minnow bucket. This system may not be for everyone but it works great for me. Feel free to make any changes you need to make it work for you. Let me know of any ideas or differances any of you may come up with, I may like to try your ideas. Thanks every one that I may have stolen Ideas from, and for those of you that make the time to sit and read this whole thing forgive my spelling and grammer and thanks for your time and intrest.
    OH, A special thanks to Mike Strawn "Fordman" For selling me the donut mold. Mike This mold works great, I'll never get rid of it.......

4. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Michael Ryno(Catfish Addiction) on May 31, 2005

Here is a picture of all the materials to start off with, it looks like alot but some of them are used on all the Jugs. By all, I mean I've made about 70 Jugs and didn't run out of glue, Colored tape, Reflective tape, waterproof med tape and used the drill bits, and weight mold over and over so don't be fooled thinking its more than what it really looks like.

[​IMG]

I start out by cutting a 24" piece of 1/2" PVC and a 10" piece of 2" white closed cell foam Noodle (Jugs must be white in Texas by law). Next I drilled a 3/8" hole thru the noodle and capped one end of the PVC.

[​IMG]

Next I cut 3x pieces of white reflective tape to wrap around the 1/2" PVC (this maybe overkill on ref. tape, but I got it cheap and they lite up something crazy under a spotlight). I put one piece of Ref. tape next to the cape at the end, then slide the foam noodle over the PVC. In the picture you can also see the pack of colored tape, I like to put a different color on several jugs to help remember what type of bait I used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I will take a small drill bit and drill a pilot hole in the end and side of the cap that is on the PVC ans screw in to small eye bolts. The eye bolt in the end secures the line to the setup the bolt in the side is used to ajust the depth being fished, I'll go into the depth setting more later.
    After the eyebolts are in a add the weight, this is what makes the jugs flag. First I put in a small carriage bolt then 2x 1oz egg weights and 1x 1/2 oz weight. Now it's time to glue on the other cap. After the cap is glued on I add the other 2x pieces of Ref. tape and a band of colored tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click here for page 2