RV tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Capt Steve's RV and Camping Talk' started by Capt Steve, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Post some RV tips & tricks you have thought of or learned.

After hitting my head on awning supports in the dark I covered them with my kids swim noodles. Bright colors and they do little damage if you still insist on head-butting them. Of course my kids wanted to remove them during the day to bash each other with them.

Want to keep mice out of your RV while you are not using it? Chop up some Irish Spring soap bars in a few pie plates. Smells good to me but mice hate it.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    We dont have mice around my RV Steve.... got two cats, and one just loves to catch anything with 4 little paws......specially rats, gophers, and mice...

thanks for the tip..... could always have soap in the RV

PS. I have my awning supports down to remind folks not to sneek into my area from the side....... "security device... it is

bayrunner Ray

3. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    those are some great tips Capt Steve, thanks:cool2:

4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Do you put the support legs for your awning on the ground and secure them with tent stakes? I did that a couple weeks ago and the wind pulled them up and it cost $118.00 to get the pieces repaired.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve thanks for some great tips. Will give them a try.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Mike I don't put the support legs down at all..... I leave em attached to the RV an tip up the awning.... when the wind comes... even in the middle of the night, I feel the RV swaying and pop it down and in real quick.....Had to many friends say what had happened to their awning when it was nailed down and I have learned from them......

When the wind blows a little, I adjust the awning on an angle to give it more strength to cut the wind....

Bayrunner Ray

7. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I've had trouble with my black water tank sensor registering full when it isn't... "something" is stuck to it. Anyhow, I mentioned it to a camp neighbor the last trip and he told me he had the same problem but no more. Here's what he said he does now. Get one bottle of calgon water softener (in the laundry detergent aisle - not the foofoo bath stuff) and one bottle of dawn dishwashing liquid. Pour both down the john and fill it about half full of water before leaving home. It'll slosh around real good on the way to the camp. At the camp dump it before setting up camp and you're good to go. He said the calgon slicks the inside of the tank up good and the dawn was just for smell. I'll try it out near the end of the month... headed to the coast.

8. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    you can also put a couple bags of ice into a half full tank before pulling out, it will knock the solids loose so they can be dumped.

9. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    On some Dometic brand RV refrigerators there is a small heater element in the freezer door frame. It's purpose is to control the humidity that may collect around the door opening during very high humidity situations. This circuit draws around 6 amps and will drain a battery within 12 hours or so. It has it's own switch, not controlled by the refrigerator on/off switch. Very often it is left on. If your aux. battery goes down for no apparent reason, check this switch.

10. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Mike, Their is nothing worse then coming back to your Rv and finding your awning laying on top of your trailer. I found that out the hard way, and it cost me a new awning. now I never leave my trailer with the awning up with out strapping each conner down with straps that I bought at harbor freight. a lot less cost than a new awning.

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For the MO gathering I wanted an awning but did not want to buy one from a camper place...I picked up a silver Chinese tarp,,, 16' x 20',,, wire tied it to 2 steel tubes,,,, took 2 ropes over the top of my truckcamper tied to the jacks on the back side and to the steel tube on the other,,, so I would not have to have permanent deals on the camper.... the other end I made 3 5 foot poles with U's on top for the tube to set in,, and anchored them to the ground with 1/4" rope and tent stakes,,,,

It made a great canopy,,, went threw a good wind and thunderstorm,,, it stayed up the whole weekend,,, we had christmas tree lights tied to the edge, the wind broke them loose in a couple spots but they were just tied with fishing line.

I rolled it up like a carpet and it rode to MO and back in my boat,,, looked like I had a sail wrapped up...

If you want a cheap canopy that is big,,, this works,,,, tarp cost 39.99,,, tube I had is stock as with the poles,, I just made them with leftover scrap,,,, the rope cost maybe 12 dollars,,,, that was a 16' x 20' foot canopy.. It will go to TN with me in the spring next year,,, it worked great. Oh ya the USA wire ties were 12 dollars,,,

12. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    lots of good info in this thread thanks guys :cool2:

13. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here's a couple of electrical tips I learned the hard way. I had a camper that kept tripping ground faults on the campground breakers. It wouldn't do it unless I had too much on like the air conditioner, electrical heaters, etc. Finally ran it down to a bad heater element in the water heater. I couldn't figure it out for a while, because I had never used the electrical side of the water heater. It was going straight to ground and tripping the breaker whenever too much load was put on the main.
    Had another camper that had one circuit that would not work. The breaker showed good. The circuit showed no breaks or the outlets were good. Finally figured out that someone had tripped the GFCI in the bathroom. Reset it and everything was ok.
    These are simple fixes, but a real headache to figure out if you've never dealt with them before.

14. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Jim, can you post a pic?

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It is rolled up now,,, I don't think we have any pictures of it set up,,,unless someone at the MO gathering took a picture of it.