RV rental

Discussion in 'Capt Steve's RV and Camping Talk' started by CatRwalln, Nov 14, 2009.

1. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    Anyone ever rent a motor home for a week?
    Where do you get them?
    How much does it cost?
    Is it a hassle?

2. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    After looking into RV rentals, it looks cheaper to buy one.:smile2:

3. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Around here nobody rents them any more. Sometimes Craig's List has private partys that rent camper trailers.

4. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    Thanks Capt'n, I'm fixing my truck up for camping.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    With the price of gas,,, and the fuel milage my F-250 gives with the truck camper on,,,, I'm thinking of going back to tent camping,,,, I would just use my Mazda and plastic boat,,,, 25.7mpg = Mazda with boat trailer,,,,,,,,9mpg = F-250 with truck camper and 19' Roughneck in tow.....

I have been looking at some nice tents,, cheap on Ebay....

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/Video/ViewVideo.aspx?vtp=1910&a=552367

This one would cost me about 80 dollars including shipping...Ebay...

6. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    That's a huge tent. 17x13 for $80? Helluva deal. I like your little plastic boat.

7. MH Hawker

MH Hawker Member

State:
    WV
    I set up my pontoon so I can toss up a tent on the front deck,:biggrin1:

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I quit using that Mazda5 and sold that Pelican.. The Mazda drug bottom going on some of the dirt roads in the LBL, western KY,,,

I picked up a Dodge 1/2 ton with a contractor cap,, little V6 with a 6 speed manual trans. It gives about 16-18 pulling a little 1436 Smoker Craft jon. The higher clearance of the pickup I like.

I used cedar and slatted the area across the middle seat and the front one, making a deck for Bo to lay on.

That contractor cap with those 7 and 1/2 foot boxes on the side made perfect fishing rod lockers. A little carpet scraps and wood flooring scraps and you end up with real nice locking rod storage.

If your cheap,,, Like ME,,,,, lol,,, these contractor owned trucks usually get traded at 4 years old as they are on a 4 year tax write off. No one, but old farts like me like standard transmissions so they have a slightly hard time selling them,,,

I bought this truck in the fall of 2011, it's an 07, it had 53,000 miles on it, was pre dented and scratched,, but I got it for 7700, cap and all. The started at 10,900 and ran it on eBay twice, I kept watching and making offers,,, when I made the 7700 offer, I stated that I was offering more than they would get at the car auction, they knew it and accepted my offer.

This little truck is now my daily driver and has all my camping and fishing stuff loaded, ready to go,,, just add suit cases and gas,,, and I'm gone.

With todays high gas prices, a person has to cut back a little,, and you can keep on enjoying the Great Outdoors,,, don't let prices cramp your lifestyle.

I gave up the tent camping deal too, because my kidneys are shot and I get winded real easy,,, so setting up and breaking down camp,,, was a real chore. With this set up, I sleep in the back of the truck it's great. I have 12 volt fans to blow on me when it is hot,,, sleeping and a little propane heater for when its cold. lol A cheap silver tarp and a couple 2x2s make an excelent canopy,,, Camping on the Cheap.

It don't take big money to enjoy the outdoors.

PC120102.jpg PC120105.jpg P3150151.jpg P5040179.jpg P4210170.jpg

9. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Really efficient set-up, Jim. You must carry a lot of rods. :)