Rustoleum

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by weebrio, May 14, 2007.

1. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    They have marine paint, has any one painted a Jon Boat with this stuff, how did it come out?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The largest contributing factor with what you end up with is going to be how much you put into the prep.
    Best tip i can give you is to use self etching primer. The top brands that offer it in a spray can runs about 15 doallrs a can.

I've easily got 100 hours in prepping 2 -24' aluminum pontoons for a hard coating.
    Then you figure 22 coats of the coating. I been messing with pontoons until I'm sick of it but I aint through yet.

3. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I started with this.

[​IMG]

Now I have this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jacobcstroud

jacobcstroud New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    What did you end up using to paint it with.

I have a aluminum v-hull that needs to be repainted. I have not decided if I want to continue trying to completly clean, prime, and paint it myself or if I want to save up and take it to someone to have it done...

5. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    Rustoleum smoke grey and sail blue, its is just a small jon boat, if the paint peels I will paint it again, but it looks far better than it did.

I know no mater what I paint it with by the time I load and unload it from the truck and push it in and out to the lake the paint will be scratched and scuffed.

The main thing is I moved the trolling battery forwards, installed a couple of rod holders on the back ( I am going to install one or two on the front eventually) and fixed that rear seat so it can swivel but wont slide arounf like it was doing with the brackets I had originaly.
    I fished out of it last the weekend before last and I caught nine bass, some casting and some trolling.
    I want to cat fish, so if I set up a couple of lines on the back I can then still fish with a spinner while I am watching the rods out the back.
    So far I have only fished a small lake, about six achers, I fully understand this is no rough water boat but for the small inlets and small eletric only lakes it is fine.
    I also think a clean and tidy boat is the way to go, if I get pulled over by the TPAW at least my boat looks respectiable from the get go.
    It is the same with motorcycles, I feel you get respect if you have shown that you maintain your equipment.

I also made the anchor operational from the rear seat, there was just far to much cord laying on that fliper deck and now I dont have to crawl around the boat to use the anchor, I am in control of it not the guy at the front who is limited with space anyway.

6. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    wow that turned out nice

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm using a product called Eco-Tuff on the pontoons.
    Its a polyeurathane based coating originally designed for concrete floors.
    The formula I am using is the AQ formula and its used primarily for underwater applications like pools, and spas.
    It rolls on easily with the small diameter foam rollers.
    It also goes on thin. It takes about 5 coats to cover the primer and its a buildable product meaning you want to keep coating to build up the mil thickness.
    It dries fast. I can roll the length of a pontoon and start rolling again on the other end immediately. Even though it dries fast it takes a week to reach full cure.
    I've got 23 coats on one side of each toon and I was assured it would take quite a shot. Thats 23 coats with one gallon on 24 foot pontoons.
    It sure feels solid with a hardness to it not found in paint but looks and goes on like paint.
    Its also self leveling. I've been asked where my spray equipment was and how hard was it to clean the gun when I got through. There is no way you could tell it was rolled. I was accused by one person of "jerking their chain" with the roller application.
    It also has a shine to it. I cant wait to put the orbital buffer on it to see how far you can carry the finish.

The tech support for the product is a phone call away and they are very helpful and will even return your call within minutes if they are busy or the particular person to best answer your question isnt available at the moment.
    I followed the recomendations to a letter.
    I used a 60 grit flap disk on a side grinder to rough the aluminum then sprayed the aluminum with 2 thin coats of self etching primer. After the first coat I let it sit for 5 minutes and then "hot" coated with the second coat.
    What I've wound up with is a shell and its repairable.
    Should you put a dent in a toon it wont crack or peel, It remains intact (within reason dent wise).

They also offer different sized rubber agregates and load densities for the above water and below water formulas making it a good choice for coating boat flooring.
    It runs around 86 a gallon. Price is the same between formulation but would be a little cheaper with an agregate. Agregate means less actual product in the can. I guess thats why its cheaper.
    I give the product and the tech support a thumbs up to this point.

8. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Mark, I sure would like to see pic's of your toon project with that product on there.

9. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think it turned out great Weebrio.

10. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I am happy with the outcome, this is only my second boat, the last was about twenty odd years ago, it was a old style lifeboat taken from a cruise ship. I only used it for lobster pots, so I never really fished out of it with a rod and reel.
    I look at this as practice for when I manage to get a bigger boat, I would like to get the 14 foot one.
    I will be going fishing very soon, within the next few days, so I hope the paint holds out, I will report back with pics to lets folks here see, just in case they are considering a simmilar project.
    I also may put a wood floor in the center where I sit just to get my feet off the rivvets and distrubite the weight evenely when I stand up etc.

I did modify the troling motor today, the one I have is an old Minn Cota, it works fine apart from the prop being very small and worn down looking.
    I bought a new prop from BPS, it was the same size of hub and the blade looks a little bigger and far better, it is hard to explain.
    I did this because when on speed one the boat hardly moved, perhaps this will help.
    The hub is the same diamiter but deeper so I had to trim it to get it to fit on the motor, just one pass on a table saw did the trick.

I love this boating thing, so far it is very inexpensive, I know that it could be very much the oposite, that would sort of spoil it for me, I am not in to spending thousands of dollars on any thing.

If this boat lasts as long as next summer or the following summer I will get the 14 foot one, put my experiance I gain on this one towards the 14 footer.
    Hopefully someone will get some joy out of my efforts with this one.

11. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bryan,

That paint job is looking pretty sweet!

Great work, looks like a pro job!

Paul

12. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ooooops!

Only thing missing is a BOC decal! :embarassed:

13. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    The prop

Old prop.
    [​IMG]

New prop.

[​IMG]

What I had to trim.

[​IMG]

How it looks, the same gap as the original, I dont really know if the original prop was the right one I just hope this one works a bit better.

[​IMG]

14. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    i have a 14' jon boat i spray painted. took it down to bare metal and just used regular primer and paint(rustoleum). did a flat camo finish and it turned out better than expected. did it two years ago and it still looks great.new to the BOC! GREAT

15. schuetz

schuetz New Member

State:
    kansas
    i envy weebrio. that is one slick ol' boat. i am total agreement. take care and pride in you equipment and you will be happy forever. also read your story about your son. nice idea. in high school, i would have killed for my dad to take me fishing. i have an old plain jane 16' lowe flat bottom. i wouldnt sell it for the world. one day, it will be owned by my kid. but-- just wanted to say that was a great project turn out that you had. nice work