rustolem Aluminum Primer

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by jdbuckshot, Jul 18, 2008.

1. jdbuckshot

jdbuckshot New Member

State:
    Missouri
    has any one ever used this rustolem aluminum / galvinized metal primer, im going to try in instead of using the zink chromate, since after spraying with zink chromate you have to spray a base primer before finale coat. I only have to do the transom i replaced so we will see how it goes. i plan on acid etching just before painting.

any input would be great!

Thanks

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I used it this year repainting my boat and so far so good. Sprayed on real nice and the price was right too.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Why not go with a self etching primer in a can?

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    When I was looking at the paint I called Rustolem and talked to them about it. They said that the prime was a self etch type. The key point for me was the price. I hit alot of low water sand and rock streches on our creeks and rivers so the paint is going to get beat up. If I was going to do one that did not hit the sand so much I would had went with better paint. God knows I have enough laying around from painting cars. But why waste the good stuff.:wink:

5. jdbuckshot

jdbuckshot New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The cost of self etching in spray can is $22.00, a quart of rustolem alum. primer is $9. as soon as i opened it i could tell by the smell that it was an acid etch primer. seemed to work well.

6. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    go to the POR 15 web site, It's prob. got what you need and will last for ever
    MULE

7. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    agreed... por15 is a premium product, do the job right it wil last a lifetime.

8. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    just an fyi I got self etch primer in a can from auto zone for around $8

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have hammered my boat on the rocks and on standing timber this year and I have not had any problems with it. I do like the POR15 i use it on truck frames all the time but for the money the Rustolem is doing great.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, we used it too, and I don't remember it being expensive.