Rust inhibitor

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by etipriga, Feb 16, 2006.

1. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Has ne one ever tried this stuff out and if you have is it worth buying??

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What type,kind or brand?There are many types and brands,for many different uses.peewee-williams

3. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    i guess ne brand, its just those ones that ur supposed to put in the tackle box so ur hooks dont rust

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have seen it posted on the BOC (I think).Put your hooks in a old pot.Put some wax(a candle will do).Heat it up untill the wax melts.Dip your hooks out,and let cool.The wax will coat,seal and preserve them.peewee-williams

5. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    When I get those little packs in meds and things that say do not eat on the side , I throw them in the tackle box. Someone here probably knows the name of them.

6. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    do those little packs do the same thing?

7. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Are you talking about the desicent packages. They absorb mositure to help keep things dry, I put them in my gun cases and ammo cans.

chris

8. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Beware of how long you leave a "silica" pack around your guns. They only hold so much moisture. As far as using them in a tackle box they probably aren't worth the effort. Remember they absorb atmospheric moisture and you will be around a body of water that is evaporating all the time. Pee Wee has the right answer if you have a tendency to get water in your tackle box, wax'em, it works. There isn't a reliable "oil" you can use in this situation because "oil" evaporates and it will float off the surface as soon as it makes contact with water. Teflon spray won't work either, I have seen vaseline used but I never asked how well it stayed on the hooks. The best way to prevent rust on your hooks is let the tackle box air out regularly.